Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by st...@teamics.com on 2002/08/30 23:23:10 UTC

Bugs in Tomcat 4.1.9 Manager Servlet on Windows 2000

I had some problems with the Tomcat 4.1.9 manager.  Basically, it does not
successfully install a new application for me.  I had to do it manually.
Note: I am using a JDBC Realm with MySQL.  My ID has the manager and admin
role assigned.  The Manager servlet runs, the Admin servlet runs but blows
up.  Before starting, I removed the legacy <Context> tag from the
servlet.xml.  There was no corresponding application folder under webapps.

My war file was at CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT

I launched the Manager Servlet and put the following in the three text
fields at the bottom:
Conf. Url: <-- left blank
War URL: jar:http://localhost:8080/stewart.war!/    <---This URL works fine
in a browser.

When I click the install button I receive the following message: Message:"
FAIL - Encountered exception java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: "

The generated URL is:
http://localhost:8080/manager/html/install?path=&installPath
=%2Fstewart&installConfig
=&installWar=jar%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%3A8080%2Fstewart.war%21%2F+

Since there was no config URL I edited the generated URL, above ,to remove
"&installConfig=".  That changed the error message to:
Message: FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
Invalid URL for web application archive: http://localhost:8080/stewart.war

Next, I used the command line to issue:
http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=/stewart&war=jar:file:/stewart.war!/

The response was:
OK - Installed application at context path /stewart

The application appeared in the manager GUI with only Start and Remove
enabled.  Clicking Start did nothing.  Upon further investigation, I
discovered that no directories were created under webapps.  I started and
stopped the server and tried several times, to no avail.

CIRCUMVENTION:
Manually created .../webapps/stewart, expanded stewart.war into the new
directory, manually added the <context> tag to server.xml.  The manually
configured web application runs fine.

Steve Mitchell
e-Business Architect/Developer
Integrated Corporate Solutions, Inc.
913-685-6506
stevem@teamics.com
www.teamics.com

Re: Bugs in Tomcat 4.1.9 Manager Servlet on Windows 2000

Posted by garrett smith <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Hey,

I too have tried:

http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=&war=

And got the FAIL message. According to the instructions, leaving an empty
string for the value of path (no value) will result in ROOT context. This never
worked for me using tomcat 4.0.1 on Linux (my host hasn't upgraded).

Garrett

=====
http://dhtmlkitchen.com/

Re: Bugs in Tomcat 4.1.9 Manager Servlet on Windows 2000

Posted by garrett smith <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Hey,

=====
http://dhtmlkitchen.com/