Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org> on 2020/11/05 16:14:58 UTC

ActiveMQ and problematic language

Hi, ActiveMQ friends,

As you may have heard, Red Hat recently embarked on a company-wide effort to remove problematic/unwelcoming language from code, documentation, and web presences, both upstream and downstream, related to projects that we care about, and which form critical parts of our technology stack. Camel is, of course, one of those projects.

We are joined in this effort by colleagues at a large and growing number of technology companies and organizations.

Our CTO Chris Wright blogged about this - https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/making-open-source-more-inclusive-eradicating-problematic-language - back in June and we have been making steady - if slow - progress since then.

I'm in the process of reaching out to various projects to see what we can do to get this work done.

I was wondering if ActiveMQ is looking at this issue at all.

A lazy github search shows, of the words that we've been focusing on:

Slave
https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=slave
77

Master
https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=master
121

Whitelist
https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=whitelist
1

Blacklist
https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=blacklist
1

We've drafted a document about how one might approach this topic - https://github.com/conscious-lang/conscious-lang-docs/blob/main/recommendations.md and a faq at https://github.com/conscious-lang/conscious-lang-docs/blob/main/faq.md if you'd like to read more about the "what", "why", and "how" of this project, and I'd be glad to discuss this more with any of you.

Re: ActiveMQ and problematic language

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, that’s possible. I just mentioned that we need a create ticket to INFRA for that.

Regards
JB

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: ActiveMQ and problematic language

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: ActiveMQ and problematic language

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I remember that thread..

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: ActiveMQ and problematic language

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

Posted by "michael.andre.pearce" <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.
I think we will def need a period of transition. So we need a few releases with both new apis and configs alongside the old ones in deprecated state, before we can fully remove.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> Date: 05/11/2020  17:35  (GMT+00:00) To: dev@activemq.apache.org Subject: Re: ActiveMQ and problematic language *My* particular issue around this was not knowing what to do withconfiguration parameters and APIs.If we simply remove those,  older clients, older configs would not work anylonger.Is deprecation here a valid approach? Is there consensus around it ?On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 11:15 AM Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org> wrote:> Hi, ActiveMQ friends,>> As you may have heard, Red Hat recently embarked on a company-wide effort> to remove problematic/unwelcoming language from code, documentation, and> web presences, both upstream and downstream, related to projects that we> care about, and which form critical parts of our technology stack. Camel> is, of course, one of those projects.>> We are joined in this effort by colleagues at a large and growing number> of technology companies and organizations.>> Our CTO Chris Wright blogged about this -> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/making-open-source-more-inclusive-eradicating-problematic-language> - back in June and we have been making steady - if slow - progress since> then.>> I'm in the process of reaching out to various projects to see what we can> do to get this work done.>> I was wondering if ActiveMQ is looking at this issue at all.>> A lazy github search shows, of the words that we've been focusing on:>> Slave> https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=slave> 77>> Master> https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=master> 121>> Whitelist> https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=whitelist> 1>> Blacklist> https://github.com/apache/activemq/search?q=blacklist> 1>> We've drafted a document about how one might approach this topic -> https://github.com/conscious-lang/conscious-lang-docs/blob/main/recommendations.md> and a faq at> https://github.com/conscious-lang/conscious-lang-docs/blob/main/faq.md if> you'd like to read more about the "what", "why", and "how" of this project,> and I'd be glad to discuss this more with any of you.>-- Clebert Suconic

Re: ActiveMQ and problematic language

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.