Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Tony Wei <to...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/29 03:35:51 UTC

checkpoint failed due to s3 exception: request timeout

Hi,

I met checkpoint failure problem that cause by s3 exception.

org.apache.flink.fs.s3presto.shaded.com.amazonaws.services.s3.model.AmazonS3Exception:
> Your socket connection to the server was not read from or written to within
> the timeout period. Idle connections will be closed. (Service: Amazon S3;
> Status Code: 400; Error Code: RequestTimeout; Request ID:
> B8BE8978D3EFF3F5), S3 Extended Request ID:
> ePKce/MjMFPPNYi90rGdYmDw3blfvi0xR2CcJpCISEgxM92/6JZAU4whpfXeV6SfG62cnts0NBw=

The full stack trace and screenshot is provided in the attachment.

My setting for flink cluster and job:

   - flink version 1.4.0
   - standalone mode
   - 4 slots for each TM
   - presto s3 filesystem
   - rocksdb statebackend
   - local ssd
   - enable incremental checkpoint

No weird message beside the exception in the log file. No high ratio of GC
during the checkpoint
procedure. And still 3 of 4 parts uploaded successfully on that TM. I
didn't find something that
would related to this failure. Did anyone meet this problem before?

Besides, I also found an issue in other aws sdk[1] that mentioned this s3
exception as well. One
reply said you can passively avoid the problem by raising the max client
retires config. So I found
that config in presto[2]. Can I just add s3.max-client-retries: xxx in
flink-conf.yaml to config
it? If not, how should I do to overwrite the default value of this
configuration? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Tony Wei

[1] https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-php/issues/885
[2]
https://github.com/prestodb/presto/blob/master/presto-hive/src/main/java/com/facebook/presto/hive/s3/HiveS3Config.java#L218

Re: checkpoint failed due to s3 exception: request timeout

Posted by Tony Wei <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrey,

Cool! I will add it in my flink-conf.yaml. However, I'm still wondering if
anyone is familiar with this
problem or has any idea to find the root cause. Thanks.

Best,
Tony Wei

Posted by Andrey Zagrebin <an...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,

[1] https://github.com/prestodb/presto/blob/0.185/presto-hive/src/main/java/com/facebook/presto/hive/PrestoS3FileSystem.java <https://github.com/prestodb/presto/blob/0.185/presto-hive/src/main/java/com/facebook/presto/hive/PrestoS3FileSystem.java>
[2] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/ops/deployment/aws.html#shaded-hadooppresto-s3-file-systems-recommended <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/ops/deployment/aws.html#shaded-hadooppresto-s3-file-systems-recommended>

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony,

Posted by Tony Wei <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vino,