Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com> on 2008/09/23 04:38:34 UTC

Moving of the transports - status

Andreas

I moved the core code from the base, jms and mail transports to
ws-commons yesterday. But did not yet move the tests. I know that some
of the Axis2 guys are trying out these transports now. I also see you
have made some changes to the synapse part of things, but I assume you
have more changes? Thus I will hold off my commits for now.. We also
need to make the individual transports define their own dependencies, so
that Synapse will not bloat up with unwanted JARs, and yet one can
install these [optional] transports when required.

Ruwan, once this is all over, I assume you will be making these
"bundles" again :D

asankha

Re: Moving of the transports - status

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Of course, I will be working on making all the transport jar files into
bundles :-D

Thanks,
Ruwan

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Andreas
>
> I moved the core code from the base, jms and mail transports to ws-commons
> yesterday. But did not yet move the tests. I know that some of the Axis2
> guys are trying out these transports now. I also see you have made some
> changes to the synapse part of things, but I assume you have more changes?
> Thus I will hold off my commits for now.. We also need to make the
> individual transports define their own dependencies, so that Synapse will
> not bloat up with unwanted JARs, and yet one can install these [optional]
> transports when required.
>
> Ruwan, once this is all over, I assume you will be making these "bundles"
> again :D
>
> asankha

Ruwan Linton
http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com/

RE: Moving of the transports - status

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <er...@jamba.net>.
Hi Andreas,

> For the transports in Synapse it would imply splitting up the
> synapse-transports module into several Maven modules. Maybe the first
> step is to get rid of the dependencies in Synapse's master POM and
> declare them at module level as we discussed sime time ago in SYNAPSE-396.

From my point of view this is a very good idea as a first step preparing further actions.
Speaking as a user of Synapse I would like to see a flexible way to decide which transports to use thus automatically reducing the dependencies to what is actually needed.

Regards,
   Eric

Re: Moving of the transports - status

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Andreas
>> I have indeed some local changes in the transport unit tests. I will
>> move the code to ws-commons once I have committed/reverted them and I
>> have karma in the WS project.
> Yes, this should not be a problem and you will have this very soon.. I
> will check with Glen on the Karma
>> By "make the individual transports define their own dependencies", do
>> you refer to the transports still remaining in Synapse?
> Yes, but also the transports in WS-Commons too.. I mean generally this
> would allow one to easily drop FIX etc, and its dependencies, and only
> use them if required. This would work nicely with the suggestions Oleg
> has been making for quite sometime now that Synapse has too many
> dependencies :D

The transports in WS-Commons don't have so much dependencies. The mail
transport gets its dependency on JavaMail transitively from AXIOM and
JMS only depends on the JMS APIs and that dependency is already declared
in the right place. So there is not much to do.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
Asankha,