Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com> on 2003/01/20 02:19:36 UTC

Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Does Tomcat 5 Target JDK 1.4?
It not...it should please.
Apple, IBM, BEA have JDK1.4 (betas) available to download.

The imports might change a bit.

.V

Re: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
V. Cekvenich wrote:

> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
>> V. Cekvenich wrote:
>>
>>> For TC 4 OK, but TC5 will have tested 4 vendors JVM 1.4.
>>>
>>> Most people run JDK 1.4 now.
>>>

>> Perhaps you do, but where is the data to support your claim above that
>> most people run JDK 1.4?
>>

> Going around to clients site. What are you running..
>
>> Those who have systems in production and have spent alot of time
>> developing
>> applications which are hosted on those systems can't do a major
>> upgrade like
>> JVM 1.3 -> JVM 1.4 at the drop of a hat.
>>

> Drop of the hat == when is TC5 due?
>
> Anyway, no one is arguing my side that we must have progress.
> JRockit, a popular VM is JDK 1.4. And IBM has a download that supports
> AS400 on 1.4, and Apple is coming out.
> In Java, the whole point is you can go switch out a VM, at a drop of a hat.
> I mean, JDK 1.5 is coming out.

iSeries got support for 1.4 ?

I just discovered it but I didn't see how to get it on my V5R2
and there is not a major announce of it on iseries site.

BTW, why should we make JDK 1.4 mandatory ?

RE: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Posted by Martin Algesten <pu...@taglab.com>.
> In Java, the whole point is you can go switch out a VM, at a
> drop of a hat.
> I mean, JDK 1.5 is coming out.

That's just moronic and plain wrong and if you truly believe that I'm
feeling sorry for you. If you'd had any experience running live servers
you'd know that changing API's _always_ have consequences. I'm worried
about even changing trivial things like upgrading minor versions of XML
parsers. To change the VM I rely on is a serious undertaking and
certainly not done at a drop of a hat.

> But if I am the only one asking, maybe I am drunk. The thing is go to
> your IDE (IDEj) and flag target 1.4, do you see all the
> import changes?

IDE? Flag target 1.4? That says it then.

The first thing I ask programmers I hire is "How do you prefer to
program? What is your environment like?" ... If the answer is along the
lines of "vi", "emacs", "notepad", "zsh", "bash", "windows command
line", then I feel much relieved...

Martin

Re: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com>.

Re: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Re: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com>.
iSeris has JDK 1.4 download from IBM, that is my point. (BEA, and Apple
have it as well so we have multi source).

Today when you download Tomcat 4 you have the 1.4 LE edition just loook
at the site
Also downloading a jar, ex: http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html
have 1.4 required.
Today!

TC5 is ways of.
And I think everyone can agree that JDK1.4 is more stable than 1.3.

.V

Re: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 5 target JDK1.4?