Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Matteo Melani <ma...@slac.stanford.edu> on 2006/02/09 00:27:11 UTC

Plugin dependency in project.xml file

Hello,
  what is the benefit of including in the project.xml file a dependency
to a plugin? (Besides telling other developers that the build depends on
the plugin)

For example let say that I include in my project.xml:

<dependency>
   <groupId>codeczar-tomcat</group>
   <artifactId>maven-tomcat-plugin</artifactId>
   <type>plugin</type>
   <version>1.1</version>
</dependency>

When I run Maven it downloads the .jar file for the plugin in the
repository plugin directory. And then?

I guess I do not understand the purpose if it.
Anybody can explain this feature?

Thanks,
-Matteo

Re: Plugin dependency in project.xml file

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Matteo Melani wrote:
> Let's see if I get it:
>
> I use plugin X and Y for building my project therefore I put 2
> dependencies in the project.xml.
>
> Now when other developers check out the code and run Maven the *.jar
> file of the plugins get downloaded in the repository.

Right.

> Now the developers have to install the plugin manually right?
> (how do they do that?)

No, that's exactly the point: the developers do NOT have to install the
plugins manually. Maven will use the downloaded jars to build the
project, independently of which plugin version each developer has installed.

> What if the developers have a different version of a plugin installed?

They will not be touched.

-Lukas

Re: Plugin dependency in project.xml file

Posted by Matteo Melani <ma...@slac.stanford.edu>.
Let's see if I get it:

Posted by Doug Douglass <dd...@denverdata.com>.
Lukas,