Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "David A. Parker" <dp...@utica.edu> on 2011/08/19 16:24:44 UTC

Custom Active Directory Attribute

Hello,

I use Directory Studio to browse and update our Active Directory from my
Linux desktop.  Recently, one of our AD admins added a custom attribute
to the schema for all users.  The new attribute shows up in the AD
attribute browser on the domain controllers, but it does not show up in
Directory Studio.  Is there something I can do to make DS see the new
custom attribute?

     Thanks,
     Dave

--

Dave Parker
Systems Administrator

Re: Custom Active Directory Attribute

Posted by "David A. Parker" <dp...@utica.edu>.
On 08/19/2011 05:59 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM, David A. Parker<dp...@utica.edu>  wrote:
>> I use Directory Studio to browse and update our Active Directory from my
>> Linux desktop.  Recently, one of our AD admins added a custom attribute to
>> the schema for all users.  The new attribute shows up in the AD attribute
>> browser on the domain controllers, but it does not show up in Directory
>> Studio.  Is there something I can do to make DS see the new custom
>> attribute?
>
> Do you mean the attribute isn't visible in the user enties in the
> entry editor? Or isn't is visible in the schema browser?
>
> In the first case please check if the new attribute's usage is
> "userApplication" and returned by a search when requesting all user
> attributes using the "*" atrribute selector. If the attribute isn't a
> userApplication attribute you can try to enable the "Fetch operational
> attributes while browsing" option [1].
>
> In the latter case you can try to reload the schema in the connection
> properties [2].

The attribute was visible in the schema browser, but not in the entry
editor when viewing a user's entry.  Reloading the schema in the
connection properties fixed the problem.  Thanks for you help!

     - Dave

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM, David A. Parker <dp...@utica.edu> wrote:
> I use Directory Studio to browse and update our Active Directory from my
> Linux desktop.  Recently, one of our AD admins added a custom attribute to
> the schema for all users.  The new attribute shows up in the AD attribute
> browser on the domain controllers, but it does not show up in Directory
> Studio.  Is there something I can do to make DS see the new custom
> attribute?

Do you mean the attribute isn't visible in the user enties in the
entry editor? Or isn't is visible in the schema browser?

In the first case please check if the new attribute's usage is
"userApplication" and returned by a search when requesting all user
attributes using the "*" atrribute selector. If the attribute isn't a
userApplication attribute you can try to enable the "Fetch operational
attributes while browsing" option [1].

In the latter case you can try to reload the schema in the connection
properties [2].

Hope that help,
Stefan

[1] http://directory.apache.org/studio/static/users_guide/ldap_browser/tools_connection_properties.html#tools_connection_properties_browser_options