Posted to user@shale.apache.org by Ameeta Dabke <am...@in.v2solutions.com> on 2006/09/21 06:51:04 UTC

jsf/shale query

Hi,

Using JSF I am working on a simple example which saves employee data
into database.I have :

1. Created a employee jsf which will have 'Save' button

2. On click on 'Save' button a method Employee backing bean's
saveEmployee() will get called.

3.Via this method have given a jdbc call which inserts employee data
into database.

My doubts:

1.Is this the correct way am I following? or is there any other better
way of saving data using JSF?

2. My manager asked me to use Shale architecture along with JSF. But I
am not aware how to use this Shale architecture. I went through the
website but could not figure out how it can be used.Any inputs please?

3.Can you provide me good links for learning Shale architecture?

Thanks..

Ameeta

Re: jsf/shale query

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 9/20/06, Ameeta Dabke <am...@in.v2solutions.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Using JSF I am working on a simple example which saves employee data
> into database.I have :
>
> 1. Created a employee jsf which will have 'Save' button
>
> 2. On click on 'Save' button a method Employee backing bean's
> saveEmployee() will get called.
>
> 3.Via this method have given a jdbc call which inserts employee data
> into database.
>

> My doubts:
>
> 1.Is this the correct way am I following? or is there any other better
> way of saving data using JSF?

This is certainly the approach that requires the least work, although it
does require your application to understand the details of how your database
is organized (table and column names, how to generate a primary key value,
and so on).  Alternatives to consider would be using on "Object Relational
Mapping" library like Hibernate, iBatis, or the new Java Persistence
Architecture to hide that level of detail, and let your application do
simple manipulations on JavaBeans representing the persistent data.

2. My manager asked me to use Shale architecture along with JSF. But I
> am not aware how to use this Shale architecture. I went through the
> website but could not figure out how it can be used.Any inputs please?

The most relevant part of Shale for this purpose is most likely to be the
View Controller[1].  There are two sample applications (both based on the
Struts Mail Reader sample app, but using different approaches to storing the
data:  shale-mailreader and shale-mailreader-jpa.  These apps are available
as part of the 1.0.3 release[2], and also as part of the nightly builds[3].

3.Can you provide me good links for learning Shale architecture?

The "Features" pages of the web site are your best current bet, followed by
the package level descriptions in the javadocs.

Thanks..

> Ameeta

Craig

[1] http://shale.apache.org/features-view-controller.html