Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jérôme Chauvin <je...@opsomai.com> on 2005/07/19 10:09:29 UTC

binary streaming / content-type problem with mod_jk ?

Hi all !

I've developed a servlet ("BinaryStreaming" based on "StreamingContent"
by Raj Behera) which does a binary stream of a mpeg video file which is
created progressively (by another servlet/software/Unix command/... not
important ) and finally read and played by Quicktime.
I use Apache and Tomcat so I've installed mod_jk

All work well (-> MacOS and Windows) but... :
If I go on     http://localhost:8080/my_test/BinaryStreaming     it
works well with QuickTime 7 and QuickTime 6 (6, 6.5, 6.5.2, ...).

I have mod_jk so I can go on
http://localhost/my_test/BinaryStreaming       and here it still works
well with QT7.
But QT6 seems to wait that the video file is entirely created to start
the viewing instead of starting to play the movie as soon as there is
data in it, progressively.
-> like it does with QT7 and QT6 with :8080  OR  when I use QT7 without
:8080.

I think it's due to mod_jk but I've no idea to make it work

I've found that another person had a similar problem, but no answer was
given :
http://www.junlu.com/msg/107218.html

This message was posted in 09/2004 and it seems that Apache causes
problems with pre-defined MIME-Types.

Does someone have an answer or an idea ? :-)
I really need to fix this ! :(

Thanks in advance.  :o)

Regards,

Jérôme

---
Jérôme Chauvin

OPSOMAI
77, rue de Charonne
75011 Paris - France
Tél : +33 (0)1 58 39 38 22
Fax : +33 (0)1 43 70 70 72
@ : jerome.chauvin@opsomai.com

Re: binary streaming / content-type problem with mod_jk ?

Posted by Jérôme Chauvin <je...@opsomai.com>.
Thanks for your answer Henri :)
I agree with you, finally I don't think the problem comes from mod_jk
It may be Apache (using mod_jk and Tomcat) like described by Stuart
Hynd in his post on this page : http://www.junlu.com/msg/107218.html

Or, perhaps, QuickTime 6 which is more "weaker" than QT7 which doesn't
care about the thing which makes the problem (and I would like to know
where this thing comes from).

But the incredible thing is that, using this :
http://localhost:8080/my_test/BinaryStreaming    it works perfectly on
QT6  (without the 8080 port, the latence problem appears -> QT6 or the
servlet or Apache, is waiting for the video file entirely created
before starting to play it)...

Any other suggestions or opinions about this mystery ? :)

Jérôme Chauvin

OPSOMAI
77, rue de Charonne
75011 Paris - France
Tél : +33 (0)1 58 39 38 22
Fax : +33 (0)1 43 70 70 72
@ : jerome.chauvin@opsomai.com

Le 20 juil. 05, à 23:24, Henri Gomez a écrit :

> not true, mod_jk didn't change the mime type provided by servlet
> output.
>
> I'm doing it on productions servers to handle on the fly generated PDFs
>
> 2005/7/20, Jérôme Chauvin <je...@opsomai.com>:
>> Any ideas ?
>> It would be helpful :)
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jérôme Chauvin
>>
>> Le 19 juil. 05, à 10:09, Jérôme Chauvin a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all !
>>>
>>> I've developed a servlet ("BinaryStreaming" based on
>>> "StreamingContent" by Raj Behera) which does a binary stream of a
>>> mpeg
>>> video file which is created progressively (by another
>>> servlet/software/Unix command/... not important ) and finally read
>>> and
>>> played by Quicktime.
>>> I use Apache and Tomcat so I've installed mod_jk
>>>
>>> All work well (-> MacOS and Windows) but... :
>>> If I go on     http://localhost:8080/my_test/BinaryStreaming     it
>>> works well with QuickTime 7 and QuickTime 6 (6, 6.5, 6.5.2, ...).
>>>
>>> I have mod_jk so I can go on
>>> http://localhost/my_test/BinaryStreaming       and here it still
>>> works
>>> well with QT7.
>>> But QT6 seems to wait that the video file is entirely created to
>>> start
>>> the viewing instead of starting to play the movie as soon as there is
>>> data in it, progressively.
>>> -> like it does with QT7 and QT6 with :8080  OR  when I use QT7
>>> without :8080.
>>>
>>> I think it's due to mod_jk but I've no idea to make it work
>>>

>>> I've found that another person had a similar problem, but no answer
>>> was given :
>>> http://www.junlu.com/msg/107218.html
>>>
>>> This message was posted in 09/2004 and it seems that Apache causes
>>> problems with pre-defined MIME-Types.
>>>

>>> Does someone have an answer or an idea ? :-)
>>> I really need to fix this ! :(
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.  :o)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Jérôme
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Jérôme Chauvin
>>>
>>> OPSOMAI
>>> 77, rue de Charonne

Posted by Jérôme Chauvin <je...@opsomai.com>.
> [...]

>>> I have mod_jk so I can go on
>>> http://localhost/my_test/BinaryStreaming       and here it still
>>> works
>>> well with QT7.
>>> But QT6 seems to wait that the video file is entirely created to
>>> start
>>> the viewing instead of starting to play the movie as soon as there is
>>> data in it, progressively.
>>> -> like it does with QT7 and QT6 with :8080  OR  when I use QT7
>>> without :8080.
>>>
>>> I think it's due to mod_jk but I've no idea to make it work
>>>

>>> I've found that another person had a similar problem, but no answer
>>> was given :
>>> http://www.junlu.com/msg/107218.html
>>>
>>> This message was posted in 09/2004 and it seems that Apache causes
>>> problems with pre-defined MIME-Types.
>>>

>>> Does someone have an answer or an idea ? :-)

>>> 77, rue de Charonne

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jérôme Chauvin <je...@opsomai.com>.
Any ideas ?