Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/17 19:51:22 UTC

OS Cache - Solr

Hello

I am trying to understand the  OS cache utilization of Solr .Our server has
several solr instances on a server .The total combined Index size of all
instances is abt 14 Gb and the size of the maximum single Index is abt 2.5
GB .

Our Server has Quad processor with 32 GB RAM .Out of which 20 GB has been
assigned to  JVM. We are running solr1.3  on tomcat 5.5 and Java 1.6

Our current Statistics indicate that  solr uses 18-19 GB of 20 GB RAM
assigned to JVM .However the  Free physical seems to remain constant as
below.
Free physical memory = 163 Mb
Total physical memory = 32,232 Mb,

The server also serves as a backup server for Mysql where the application DB
is backed up and restored .During this activity we see that lot of queries
that nearly take even 10+ minutes to execute .But other wise
maximum query time is less than  1-2 secs

The physical memory that is free seems to be constant . Why is this constant
and how this will be used between the  Mysql backup and solr while
backup activity is  happening How much free physical memory should be
available to OS given out stats.?

Any pointers would be helpful.

Regards
Sujatha

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by GR <th...@gmail.com>.
i wonder how do you manage 200 instances

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Think about using cores rather than instances if you really must
have this kind of separation. Otherwise you might have much
better luck combining these into a single index.

Best
Erick

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.

RE: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.

RE: OS Cache - Solr

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks ,Otis,

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jan,

Re: OS Cache - Solr

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Hi Sujatha,

Are you sure you need 20Gb for Tomcat? Have you profiled using JConsole or similar? Try with 15Gb and see how it goes. The reason why this is beneficial is that you WANT your OS to have available memory for disk caching. If you have 17Gb free after starting Solr, your OS will be able to cache all index files in memory and you get very high search performance. With your current settings, there is only 12Gb free for both caching the index and for your MySql activities.  Chances are that when you backup MySql, the cached part of your Solr index gets flushed from disk caches and need to be re-cached later.