Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2013/09/15 08:48:32 UTC

Re: POP3/IMAP Anti Spam - A basic question though

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> This may sound a basic questions but would like to know under what
>> circumstances one should use IMAP/POP3 Anti Spam services? I do have AS for
>> SMTP and is blokcing well but would like to know what consequences it would
>> cause if I enable or disable the Pop3/imap Anti Spam settings.
>>
>> Does Spamassassin by default provides POP3/IMAP scanning and if yes how
>> would I enable or disable it
>>
>> Thanks.

Hi,

I receive mails into a few boxes that are not filtered. So I have a setup that uses fetchmail
to pickup these mails and feed them into a local imap service. SA is called just prior to
delivering mail into the inbox

Regards
Wolfgang

Re: POP3/IMAP Anti Spam - A basic question though

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 15:40 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On 9/15/2013 11:24 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-09-15 at 23:27 +0530, Blason rock wrote:
> >> I agree an wouldnt harm if I disable it as my smtp scanning is definitely
> >> running fine. What I was thinking about is does imap and pop3 AS scanning
> >> only needed for ISP kindaa environment? Since I do run small setup I know
> >> all my users are trusted and have AV running on their desktops. So they
> >> wont spam my mail server internally.
> >>
> > If some of your users are using Windows-based systems there is a small
> > chance that a zero-day exploit could infect those machines and, of
> > course, if any of their outgoing mail originates from a mobile device,
> > there's a rather higher malware risk since AV packages still seem to be
> > fairly rare on that kit.
> >

> > Martin
> >

> This is rare?

> http://www.symantec-norton.com/Norton_Mobile_Security_2012_p116.aspx
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wsandroid.suite&hl=en

Do many people use AV on mobiles or are they ignored because they slow
the phone down and eat battery? I've somehow got that impression. I
wouldn't know from personal experience since I have no use for a
smartphone.

In any case my point is still valid: if somehow the OP's users pass
outgoing mail from a phone or tablet through his MTA then there's a fair
chance that one or more of those devices will be infected if it has no
AV installed.

Martin

Re: POP3/IMAP Anti Spam - A basic question though

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.
On 9/15/2013 11:24 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-09-15 at 23:27 +0530, Blason rock wrote:
>> I agree an wouldnt harm if I disable it as my smtp scanning is definitely
>> running fine. What I was thinking about is does imap and pop3 AS scanning
>> only needed for ISP kindaa environment? Since I do run small setup I know
>> all my users are trusted and have AV running on their desktops. So they
>> wont spam my mail server internally.
>>
> If some of your users are using Windows-based systems there is a small
> chance that a zero-day exploit could infect those machines and, of
> course, if any of their outgoing mail originates from a mobile device,
> there's a rather higher malware risk since AV packages still seem to be
> fairly rare on that kit.
>

> Martin

This is rare?

http://www.symantec-norton.com/Norton_Mobile_Security_2012_p116.aspx
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wsandroid.suite&hl=en

Ted

PS  I don't mean windows mobile which has 0.00000001% of the mobile
market and shrinking....

Re: POP3/IMAP Anti Spam - A basic question though

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.

Posted by Blason rock <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.