Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "B. Todd Burruss" <bb...@real.com> on 2010/01/20 22:59:09 UTC

load balancing

feedback on trunk code ... i'm using code from trunk, 4 node cluster,
RF=3, W=Q, R=Q and did a nodeprobe loadbalance on the hot node.  the
cluster ran through the night and this morning i noticed a lot of
pending hinted-handoff-pool via tpstats.  looking thru the logs i notice
that the nodes are very frequently "InetAddress /192.168.132.102 is now
dead" then back UP .. flapping of the nodes.

is this triggering the hinted-handoff and is there a way to alleviate
this (other than lowering the load)?  it seems that the hinted handdoffs
have slowed or stopped the loadbalance.

i've been trying to load up the cluster with data, so i'm trying to do
2000+ puts a second with little or no reads.  it seems like the node
that is loadbalancing is bringing the performance of the cluster way
down.

RE: load balancing

Posted by Todd Burruss <bb...@real.com>.
:)

thx
Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

RE: load balancing

Posted by Todd Burruss <bb...@real.com>.
one more note (and to reiterate) ...

i believe a must have for cassandra is some better reporting (via JMX preferrably) on the state of a loadbalance / cleanup / removetoken etc.  i have let my cluster run for more than a day and it doesn't appear to be finished, but the only indication i have that it is still running is because the performance is way off, but the load via my test clients hasn't changed.  and i still haven't seen the log message indicating it has finished.

i've also tried removetoken and cleanup with the same thought ... i don't know where the cluster is in the process, nor its state.  just performance has fallen way off.

something for 0.6 i hope?

thx

Posted by "B. Todd Burruss" <bb...@real.com>.
i figured ;)