Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2007/10/05 00:51:47 UTC

Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Charles Acknin <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 10/5/07, Hyrum K. Wright <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Just wondering where we're at in the process of merging the
> svndiff-patch branch to trunk.  It'd be good to get it there so others
> can start playing with it, and to get it into the 1.5 release.  I'd hate
> to have to wait until 1.6 to release code from SoC '07.
>
> I know that Charles has been working on the branch a bit lately.
> Charles, what would it take to get it mergeable, and do you think you
> can have that ready in the next day or two?

I meant to let people know in the next few days about how the
svnpatch-diff branch is doing.  But I'll take the opportunity of your
post to do it right away.

While there's still some work to be done, I think the branch is quite
ready for merging back to trunk.  It's just that I'm not sure whether
we want this for 1.5 or not, as I've been hearing both 'for' and
'against' opinions.  So in the meantime I endeavor to make the branch
as stable as possible before we reach consensus on that point.

BTW, the branch got some code review (thanks glasser :-) on some of
the last svnpatch-diff commits, and malcolm might have had a look at
the branch too during GSoC, but I think it's fairly far from covering
the whole branch work.

As for the work left to be done, I'm currently working on it.  Here's
a task list that I have in mind for those interested with details:

  * file move operations:  a move operation is represented with an
add-with-history and a del.  Because we're driving the editor in a
depth-first manner, it may occur that the del precedes the
add-with-history.  It turns out to be a problem since the
add-with-history is precisely a file copy of the file which the del
command just deleted.  I have some code partly working that I'll
commit soon (next 24h hopefully).  It involves maintaining a list of
schedule-delete files and using the on-delete-keep-local feature to
defer disk file deletion until after the copy is actually made.

 * directory copy and move operations:  basically carefully
duplicate/use file's code with a 'recursive' flavor.

  * ensure fuzzing is working as expected, if we can say so.  (I've
already tried svnpatch fuzzing but I'm sure it needs more testing as
really anything can happen)

  * write some more patch_tests.py tests

And possibly:

  * copyfrom information:  I was able to generate copyfrom-enabled
patch for wc/wc diffs, but since the server doesn't send this copyfrom
information both wc/repos and repos/wc diffs lack this feature.  This
needs some work on all three RA implementations I guess, in a similar
way to sussman's recent work on copyfrom stuff for updates.

Hope it helps see the overall picture of this branch.

Charles

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
On Oct 4, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Hm, I guess I disagree.  'svn patch' doesn't feel like a such a huge
> feature to me that it's worth holding back.  If were half-implemented,
> sure, we wouldn't want to wait on it.  But it's basically finished...
> it just needs some testing now, and I think it will (frankly) get a
> heck of a lot more testers attracted to it than merge-tracking.
> (Mainly because it's a much simpler, much more accessible new
> feature.)

These suspicions about their relative testability are probably
sound.  'Course, if we already *had* merge tracking, then we'd be
just that much less concerned about merging the patch branch back in!

-==-
Jack Repenning
Chief Technology Officer
CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Boulevard, Suite 600
Brisbane, California 94005
office: +1 650.228.2562
mobile: +1 408.835.8090
raindance: +1 877.326.2337, x844.7461
aim: jackrepenning
skype: jrepenning

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Anyway, +1 to post-poning ctypes and svnpatch, to be merged to trunk
> right after branching 1.5.

While I'd love to get the svnpatch branch into 1.5, the combinatoral
concerns cited by glasser really resonate with me.  Given that, I'd rather
follow Erik's suggested approach.
--

Daniel Rall

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 10/5/07, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> Hm, I guess I disagree.  'svn patch' doesn't feel like a such a huge
> feature to me that it's worth holding back.  If were half-implemented,
> sure, we wouldn't want to wait on it.  But it's basically finished...
> it just needs some testing now, and I think it will (frankly) get a
> heck of a lot more testers attracted to it than merge-tracking.
> (Mainly because it's a much simpler, much more accessible new
> feature.)

Well, I'm for holding back. Myself, I have decided to set up branches
more frequently, in order to do work I want to be done. Then, when the
branch is done, we can move the work to trunk.

If we used that approach more, we could have a shorter release cycle
because new features are already waiting on a branch to be merged
right after the latest branches off for a release.

This way, right after a release we already have something new and
exciting for a new release... (Which should be an encouragement to
'not post-pone' as we have been doing with 1.5 when we started
merge-tracking. We already had releasable material when it started...)

Anyway, +1 to post-poning ctypes and svnpatch, to be merged to trunk
right after branching 1.5.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
"Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> Just wondering where we're at in the process of merging the
> svndiff-patch branch to trunk.  It'd be good to get it there so others
> can start playing with it, and to get it into the 1.5 release.  I'd hate
> to have to wait until 1.6 to release code from SoC '07.

1.5 is a monster of a release already, and that branch date is
just around the corner.  I've expressed before my desire to see a
smaller, sooner 1.6 as the next release.  I'd much rather hold
this feature back until then.  svnpatch + random polishing,
including picking up the remaining merge-tracking issues (there
are some, aren't they, that were pushed back?) would make for a
nice 1.6 release, I think.

I'm excited about this feature, and can't wait to use it.  But, I
think we have enough to worry about with 1.5 already.  This is
just a suggestion, not a veto or even a vote.

P.S. Then 1.7 would be another big one, with the wc rewrite as
the tent pole feature :).

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.
I, too, am now persuaded we should delay the patch-stuff for svn 1.6.  :-)

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Garrett Rooney" <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
>> I am personally -1 on merging this branch to trunk until it gets quite
>> a bit more review.  As far as I can, a large amount of Charles'
>> commits were not reviewed by any committers.  I have started doing
>> some review recently, but (a) that was only after a large amount of
>> the work was done and (b) my comments were often somewhat superficial.
>
> For what it's worth, I agree with David on this.  I'm very much
> looking forward to the feature being merged and released, but I don't
> think it's gotten the attention it needs.

+1

I'd love to review Charles' changes, for example, but there's no way I
can help with that before 1.5.  Probably many others are in the same
position.

-Karl

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 10/5/07, David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:

> I am personally -1 on merging this branch to trunk until it gets quite
> a bit more review.  As far as I can, a large amount of Charles'
> commits were not reviewed by any committers.  I have started doing
> some review recently, but (a) that was only after a large amount of
> the work was done and (b) my comments were often somewhat superficial.

For what it's worth, I agree with David on this.  I'm very much
looking forward to the feature being merged and released, but I don't
think it's gotten the attention it needs.

Again, not trying to put down Charles' work, he's done a fantastic job
as far as I can tell, but it is a tough problem and we want to make
sure we've gotten it right before anything goes into a public release
and becomes intertwined with our backwards compatibility promises and
so forth.

-garrett

Re: Merging the svndiff-patch branch to trunk

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On 10/4/07, Hyrum K. Wright <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Just wondering where we're at in the process of merging the
> svndiff-patch branch to trunk.  It'd be good to get it there so others
> can start playing with it, and to get it into the 1.5 release.  I'd hate
> to have to wait until 1.6 to release code from SoC '07.
>
> I know that Charles has been working on the branch a bit lately.
> Charles, what would it take to get it mergeable, and do you think you
> can have that ready in the next day or two?
>
> It'd also be good if some of the committers reviewed what's there.  I
> haven't had the chance to yet, but hope to take a look sometime this
> weekend.

I am personally -1 on merging this branch to trunk until it gets quite
a bit more review.  As far as I can, a large amount of Charles'
commits were not reviewed by any committers.  I have started doing
some review recently, but (a) that was only after a large amount of
the work was done and (b) my comments were often somewhat superficial.

My general impression of the branch is that it is an important feature
that we should try to get released by 1.6 at the latest, but that
there are actually a huge number of complications that I don't think
were recognized until Charles actually tried to do it.  Charles is
doing a great job*, but the feature is complex enough that more review
of his commits (not just the newer ones, but the earlier ones that
didn't get any review) is essential in order for us to be confident
that the implementation lives up to the project's standards.

I will try to keep reviewing his new commits, but I'm not sure if I
have time to go back and look at the older ones.  Can anyone volunteer
to do so?

(I am also generally concerned that 1.5 will end up being a release of
a large number of half-baked features.  It's also worth pointing out
that the big features currently being implemented (merge tracking,
sparse directories, extra copyfrom information, svnpatch, etc etc etc)
do interact with each other in subtle and complicated ways.  Pushing
at least one of them off until 1.6 will limit the combinatorial
explosion of interactions between new features in 1.5.)

--dave

* and please don't read anything in this vote to suggest otherwise!
I'm really happy with Charles's work so far... but the feature is
complex enough that one newcomer to the project shouldn't be expected
to be able to complete it solo without much review!

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/