Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/08 12:41:28 UTC

Filters / actions

Ray Wang just wrote an interesting blog about activity streams /
filters - http://blog.softwareinsider.org/2010/08/30/mondays-musings-why-next-gen-apps-must-improve-existing-activity-streams/

Reminds me of our actions.

By the way, I had lunch with David Pollack during my vacation and we
talked about a related idea of his - I've been trying to find time to
write about it here but I have been under water doing other stuff. It
is on my list ....

D.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1. A wizard-based UI for setting up actions (we can keep the
>>> expert-mode, but I think we need a guided way to set these up)
>>
>> lift has a new wizard framework - maybe we should take a look at that
>
> My thoughts exactly :-)
>
>> There are also some things missing that Ray mentions (like location.)
>> I've been thinking about have an action test that looks at a message
>> meta-data - we could probably cover a lot with that - I don't exactly
>> what sort of syntax would be necessary (XPath?)
>
> Regarding location, my preference would be to canonicalize the way
> that ESME stores location data in the metadata. We could just do it in
> the web client and document it, basically saying, "If you want to
> store location data in a way that ESME knows about, do it this way,
> and if you want to store it some other way in the metadata, that's
> fine too."

look at the twitter annotations for 'place' for a good foundation :
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/annotations_overview

> Regarding actions that filter arbitrarily based on metadata, the
> metadata isn't necessarily XML so XPath would be of limited use. In
> the discussion a couple months ago we stopped short of deciding on the
> structure of the metadata, so it is hard to say how we would allow
> filtering it. It's probably a discussion we should finish first,
> before deciding on location or filtering.

Agreed

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting post. I agree that our actions get us part-way there from
> a functionality standpoint. It seems to me that the biggest challenge
> for users of our actions right now is that they are really a very
> expert-oriented UI. I'd like to see a couple of things done around the
> actions UI, pretty much in line with part of what Ray writes about:
>
> 1. A wizard-based UI for setting up actions (we can keep the
> expert-mode, but I think we need a guided way to set these up)

lift has a new wizard framework - maybe we should take a look at that

> 2. Real-time feedback on what messages a test will catch, based on
> user's current timeline (kind of like the Gmail filter UI). I realize
> that this will probably be difficult and might be performance
> intensive, so it should probably wait. Though I think it will be OK if
> we just do the test on the user's mailbox, right?

This a good idea but I have no idea how it / if world really work.

> 3. Restore the help text explaining the allowed syntax to the expert
> view - it seems to have disappeared.

I've thought about this and it might be easy to create larger tool
tips with the missing details. Definitely doable for 1.2

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, sounds good to me.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
How much text will we have?

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
Good points Ethan. I've already had similar thoughts about creating a
wizard, and might have mentioned it in the email. It will probably be
post-1.2 though.

The help screen  used to be on a separate tab for a while, which is
also not very useful- it helps to look at it while you're composing
the action. Otherwise the action text fields are pretty useless even
if you're familiar with actions, because you always tend to forget
some of the syntax.

Vassil

Re: Filters / actions

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.