Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Michał Zegan <we...@poczta.onet.pl> on 2012/07/17 15:28:51 UTC

best practices

Re: best practices

Posted by Michał Zegan <we...@poczta.onet.pl>.

Re: best practices

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Sometimes a best practice requires you to do things that you don't want
to do for short term reasons.

Why not add an exclusion for stuff you want Maven to exclude?

Ron

On 17/07/2012 10:02 AM, Michał Zegan wrote:

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: best practices

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
What happens if any dependencies are looking for that support?

Will they bomb out or fail gracefully?

I.O.W. if you can still drop it in as a generic replacement => version
change

If you cannot use it as a generic replacement => different artifact =>
change groupId

for example...

I have https://github.com/stephenc/redmine-java-api which is
https://github.com/taskadapter/redmine-java-api switched to use slf4j in
place of some crappy piece of sh1t logging adapter code they rolled
themselves. Because I have altered the API contract by removing their
logging adapter code I maintain that at a different groupId. It is
otherwise API compatible, but the changes I have made are breaking changes
so I moved the groupId (never mind I needed a working version in central so
I had to change the groupId anyway... I *could* have got away with pushing
an alternative version number to our corp maven repo)

Re: best practices

Posted by Michał Zegan <we...@poczta.onet.pl>.

Re: best practices

Re: best practices

Posted by Michał Zegan <we...@poczta.onet.pl>.

Re: best practices

Re: best practices

Posted by Michał Zegan <we...@poczta.onet.pl>.

Re: best practices

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
I think it would depend on what kind of changes you make. But if it's
a patch or similar, you should just change the version to
a.b.c-PATCH123 or something (keep artifactId and groupId as the
original).

But if you make bigger changes to it, it would probably make sense to
put it under your groupId.

/Anders

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Michał Zegan