Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Ganesh Chandrasekaran <gc...@wayfair.com> on 2015/05/19 20:09:33 UTC

Java memory exception using multilang

Hi all,

I am seeing the following error in one of the supervisor nodes which is similar to the following question on stackoverflow - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23008467/java-lang-outofmemoryerror-unable-to-create-new-native-thread-while-running-s

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method) at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:691) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:943) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.ensurePrestart(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1555) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.delayedExecute(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:333) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.scheduleAtFixedRate(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:570) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$DelegatedScheduledExecutorService.scheduleAtFixedRate(Executors.java:695) at backtype.storm.task.ShellBolt.prepare(ShellBolt.java:128) at backtype.storm.daemon.executor$fn__4722$fn__4734.invoke(executor.clj:692) at backtype.storm.util$async_loop$fn__458.invoke(util.clj:461) at clojure.lang.AFn.run(AFn.java:24) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

I checked the memory on my supervisor and it still has 40% of memory free. I am not sure if it is the same problem as the one discussed in the link above. Also, I am only seeing this on 1 supervisor and not on my other supervisor nodes. It was the same config we were having on our old cluster that was running 0.8.2. I also have multiple topologies running on the cluster but I doubt any application is causing memory leak. If it was shouldn't all memory be used up and not list anything as free?

Cluster summary -
1 Nimbus - 5 Supervisors (12 ports each)

drpc.childopts

-Xmx768m

nimbus.childopts

-Xmx1024m

supervisor.childopts

-Xmx256m

worker.childopts

-Xmx1024m

Thanks,
Ganesh

Re: Java memory exception using multilang

Posted by Jeffery Maass <ma...@gmail.com>.
This is not a storm issue.
https://plumbr.eu/outofmemoryerror/unable-to-create-new-native-thread

Thank you for your time!