Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/10/02 20:57:09 UTC

Draft consultants page, etc., posted

The page, as generated from the XML, is here:
http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultants.html

Obviously this is a mix of real and fake data.

I can enable more navigation once we get more listings.  But a flat
listing is fine for what we have now.

And here is the submission instructions page, where we state the
requirements and conditions for being listed:

http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultant-submission.html

Is it missing anything?

I'm also playing with a simplification of the support/index.html page
which you can find here:

http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/

IMHO this is a lot cleaner and simpler and helps direct the user who
is seeking support to our best options:  documentation, forums and
user list.  I put the consultants and books onto their own pages.
Might try the same with the 3rd party website listings.

This is all in support/test, with robots.txt set to not index.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Draft consultants page, etc., posted

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/12 11:58 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 10/02/2012 11:57 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> The page, as generated from the XML, is here:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultants.html
>>
>> Obviously this is a mix of real and fake data.
>
> looks good so far...even with fake data

agree it looks good to me and provides a fast overview.

When we have only a limited number of values for the "area of practice"
it would be nice to have tool tips explaining them. A short description
what deployment, development, etc means.

I know it is explained on the consultant-submission page but I think it
could make the reading of the page easier for users searching the best
fitting consultant.

And I would drop the .html extensions in the consultant-submission link.

>> I can enable more navigation once we get more listings.  But a flat
>> listing is fine for what we have now.
>>
>> And here is the submission instructions page, where we state the
>> requirements and conditions for being listed:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultant-submission.html
>>
>> Is it missing anything?
>
> This is fine. It should be easy to deal with.
>

>> I'm also playing with a simplification of the support/index.html page
>> which you can find here:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/
>
> I like this very much! Really removing all those links to the various
> wiki areas is a good idea. Much cleaner!

I think it could benefit from a little more spacing, the links in the
grey areas and the text below looks very condensed.

Juergen

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 10/02/2012 11:57 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> The page, as generated from the XML, is here:
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultants.html
>
> Obviously this is a mix of real and fake data.

looks good so far...even with fake data

> I can enable more navigation once we get more listings.  But a flat
> listing is fine for what we have now.
>
> And here is the submission instructions page, where we state the
> requirements and conditions for being listed:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultant-submission.html
>
> Is it missing anything?

This is fine. It should be easy to deal with.

> I'm also playing with a simplification of the support/index.html page
> which you can find here:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/

I like this very much! Really removing all those links to the various
wiki areas is a good idea. Much cleaner!

> IMHO this is a lot cleaner and simpler and helps direct the user who
> is seeking support to our best options:  documentation, forums and
> user list.  I put the consultants and books onto their own pages.
> Might try the same with the 3rd party website listings.
>
> This is all in support/test, with robots.txt set to not index.

All good. Just put it into production whenever you feel so inclined.

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin

Re: Draft consultants page, etc., posted

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
I would add one more sentence, either below the list or following to
"... service to the ecosystem":
Please help to keep this listing up to date by reporting broken links
and misleading descriptions (etc.) to ooo-???@i.a.o.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 02:57:09PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> The page, as generated from the XML, is here:
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultants.html
>
> Obviously this is a mix of real and fake data.
>
> I can enable more navigation once we get more listings.  But a flat
> listing is fine for what we have now.
>
> And here is the submission instructions page, where we state the
> requirements and conditions for being listed:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/consultant-submission.html
>
> Is it missing anything?
>
> I'm also playing with a simplification of the support/index.html page
> which you can find here:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/test/
>
> IMHO this is a lot cleaner and simpler and helps direct the user who
> is seeking support to our best options:  documentation, forums and
> user list.  I put the consultants and books onto their own pages.
> Might try the same with the 3rd party website listings.
>
> This is all in support/test, with robots.txt set to not index.

It could benefit from a left navigation bar, and everything in markdown
will help (not only if localizers want to translate it).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina