Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2015/02/17 19:09:52 UTC

[ApacheCon] Big Data track?

So ... is anyone going to step up to give us a Big Data track, or is
there too much overlap with the Science track to make this meaningful?
Given that this was a substantial portion of our content at the last two
events, it seems critical that we call this out in our schedule.

Help? Anyone?

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

RE: [ApacheCon] Big Data track?

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
At the moment I'm looking at probably 4 track days (that includes the already proposed container track)

I hope to get this to you very soon (I'm about 60% done) - bit it seems this last fortnight has been full of new foundation announcements that are easting up all my time - sorry.

Ross

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

RE: [ApacheCon] Big Data track?

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Yep, we have enough content for that. I was being conservative when calling it "cloud". I told Rich I'd do as many tracks as I can under that heading.

We certainly have enough for containers, big data, etc. as separate tracks. However, from a marketing perspective they are also related. I want to weave a story between the tracks. To show innovation across all aspects of cloud computing. We'll figure out what they will be called later, but it's not my intention to call them all "cloud"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: [ApacheCon] Big Data track?

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Feb 17, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> I'll do this as part of my Cloud tracks (see why I chose such a broad
> term ;-)

I see one problem here - which is, a broad term is hard to promote. I
wouldn't expect "big data" to fall under "cloud". Big data is a term in
its own right.

It's fine to have one person wrangling cloud, big data, and containers -
but for marketing purposes, they'd be better off as discrete tracks.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier