Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> on 2005/10/03 02:58:51 UTC

Alignment handling wiki page

I have started a wiki page describing the issues I found in dealing with
inline alignments and their proposed resolution:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/LineLayout/AlignmentHandling

The page is written in a style as if FOP already does those things. Of
course it doesn't (my copy sort of does in parts).  Comments,
criticism, different points of view are most welcome as some of the
suggested solutions may be contentious.

Manuel

Re: Alignment handling wiki page

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:13 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I can only comment on some parts as I still don't have every aspect
> of this topic present. All in all this looks good and this will be a
> cool addition to FOP's feature set. :-)
>
> Concerning super/subscript, there are values in the PFM file of Type
> 1 fonts (Extended Text Metrics in Adobe Technical Note #5178):
>
> etmSuperScript
> etmSubScript
> etmSuperScriptSize
> etmSubScriptSize

Thanks for pointing these out. I think I leave this to the FOray font
project to parse. However, to some extend it supports the point I made
on the wiki page that the sub/superscript offsets are somehow coupled
to the font size of the actual sub/superscript.

To find the most visually appropriate position (especially for
subscripts) appears to me as being a non trivial issue as it depends
IMO not only on the font size of the subscript (relative to the font
size of the main element) but also on the content of the subscript. For
example, one would most likely choose a different position for a digit
than a lowercase character. Do the typesetting experts on this list
have any pointers on this topic?

> But they are currently not parsed.
>
> On 03.10.2005 02:58:51 Manuel Mall wrote:
> > I have started a wiki page describing the issues I found in dealing
> > with inline alignments and their proposed resolution:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/LineLayout/AlignmentHandling
> >
> > The page is written in a style as if FOP already does those things.
> > Of course it doesn't (my copy sort of does in parts).  Comments,
> > criticism, different points of view are most welcome as some of the
> > suggested solutions may be contentious.
> >
> > Manuel
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel

Re: unsubscribe notice

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, I believe I took care of this already, by sending an e-mail to:

I cc'd him, but neglected to alert fop-dev.

On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2005, at 17:59, guanglei song wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> It is time to say good bye with hands full.
>> Could you please unsubscribe this email?
>>
>> luckysong_cs@yahoo.com
>
> Sorry, you have to do this yourself. Just send an empty mail to
> fop-dev-unsubscribe@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

unsubscribe notice

Posted by guanglei song <lu...@yahoo.com>.
It is time to say good bye with hands full.
Could you please unsubscribe this email?

luckysong_cs@yahoo.com

Thanks

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

Re: Alignment handling wiki page

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I can only comment on some parts as I still don't have every aspect of
this topic present. All in all this looks good and this will be a cool
addition to FOP's feature set. :-)

Concerning super/subscript, there are values in the PFM file of Type 1
fonts (Extended Text Metrics in Adobe Technical Note #5178):

etmSuperScript
etmSubScript
etmSuperScriptSize
etmSubScriptSize

But they are currently not parsed.

On 03.10.2005 02:58:51 Manuel Mall wrote:
> I have started a wiki page describing the issues I found in dealing with
> inline alignments and their proposed resolution:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/LineLayout/AlignmentHandling
>
> The page is written in a style as if FOP already does those things. Of
> course it doesn't (my copy sort of does in parts).  Comments,
> criticism, different points of view are most welcome as some of the
> suggested solutions may be contentious.
>
> Manuel

Jeremias Maerki