Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/19 14:24:28 UTC

Travis CI Build Issues

I was hoping to start a discussion on issues during travis CI builds.

I've been trying to get my PR accepted for some time but it always seems to
fail during the Travis CI phase of testing for things that I can tell are
unrelated to the PR changes.  I've noticed other "failures" for other folks
as well so I'm hoping to figure out where the problem may be and how to get
this resolved.  If someone is working this I'd be interested to know the
progress.

I think a lot of the problems is around the context of these travis ci
checks

   - 9844.13 Test Java modules with nb-javac on Java 8
   <https://app.travis-ci.com/github/apache/netbeans/jobs/531496484>
   - 9844.25 Test refactoring.java without nb-javac on Java 15
   <https://app.travis-ci.com/github/apache/netbeans/jobs/531496496>

I've tried running some of the builds locally and have seen some issues
during that so maybe it's related to other things in the build.  Although
I'm not sure how some builds seem to be passing while master + PR based
ones in Travis CI are successful.

I know resources can sometimes be an issue on the build infrastructure.
I'm suspicious of

   1. Different Java versions involved (i.e. maybe different versions
   confusing the build in some way [i.e. java 8 and java 15])
   2. Interim test issues [I've noted some in the "Gradle Java Project"]
   3. Something broke in master someplace

I had a previous thread on this before (1) without much follow up [I'm sure
posting extensive stack traces was probably a turn off for responding].
I've seen folks talking about similar issues on the Slack channel

Not sure if maybe this is part of some other issue (2) or where to go from
here.

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Reference:

(1)
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rcddd3063fb087fb894eeea38b6c555c802c4412e15a27ada1b4dccbe%40%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
(2) NETBEANS-5627 Gradle project Lookup inconsistent until
OpenProjects.open()