Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2003/06/23 14:29:48 UTC

The Record class

I was just looking at the record class and noticed that idea was showing
the following fields in gray:

     private short  id   = 0;
     private short  size = 0;
     private byte[] data = null;

The tooltip indicated that the fields are assigned but never
accessed.  This is probably not a big deal for id or size but the reference
to the data array could cause us to use more memory than we otherwise would.

Would anyone object to me removing these fields from the Record
class?  Non-reply will be taken as a go ahead Glen - remove away.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: The Record class

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I think they are the cruft of the malt, once the brew has fermented you can
safely throw out the yeast.  Just make sure nothing breaks somewhere else.

-Andy

On 6/23/03 8:29 AM, "Glen Stampoultzis" <gs...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I was just looking at the record class and noticed that idea was showing
> the following fields in gray:
>
>    private short  id   = 0;
>    private short  size = 0;
>    private byte[] data = null;
>
> The tooltip indicated that the fields are assigned but never
> accessed.  This is probably not a big deal for id or size but the reference
> to the data array could cause us to use more memory than we otherwise would.
>
> Would anyone object to me removing these fields from the Record
> class?  Non-reply will be taken as a go ahead Glen - remove away.
>

> Regards,
>

> Glen Stampoultzis
> gstamp@iinet.net.au
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~gstamp/glen/

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: The Record class

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
At one time I used it as a "not a real record" id...  It should probably be
unused at this point...in fact it probably serves for the popular confusion.

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?