Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Sweta Rani <sw...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/20 14:17:08 UTC

Patch for MESOS-1647 (Fix Text formatting in web documentation)

This <http://swetarani.github.io/Mesos-Documentation-GettingStarted/> is
the Mesos documentation view after my work. This format gives us very
nicely managed data for readers in any size window and fix all the
formatting bugs that were there. I hope it fulfills the requirement.
Here
<https://github.com/swetarani/Mesos-Documentation-GettingStarted/tree/gh-pages>
is
the code/files for rendering the requirement.

As the open source work is very new for me so it took time to understand
everything. Today, I got the configuration.md files and understood git
repository.  As, in the the span of 4 days, I could work up till here. Now,
I will be working to understand Mesos more properly and would soon
implement my patch with the configuration.md file. Since, the format of my
patch is not as in the git repository and neither I have got so acquianted
with the submission procedure, therefore I am sending it you for reviews
and suggestion.

As the application submission for OPW are close. So, I am preparing the
activity timeline,etc. for submission procedure. I will work on it further
and implement the patch for .md files after application submission.

Bugs and suggestions are most welcomed.

Thanking You,

*Sweta Rani*

Re: Patch for MESOS-1647 (Fix Text formatting in web documentation)

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sweta,

Thanks for this contribution! I think this is a huge step in the right
direction of making the web documentation more-readable; the current
website layout is quite restrictive for content like documentation and has
caused awkward text-wrapping.

Reading your comment on MESOS-1647, it looks like you updated the layout by
modifying `assets/css/main.css`; were there any files you had to modify? At
first glance it appears that your proposed change would expand the overall
site width. This is definitely an improvement, I just wanted to see if that
was intentional. We'd want to test to see if other pages are negatively
affected by the change.

In terms of the the ideal process for submitting a patch, it would be
preferable to have a diff of the changes so we could easily merge them into
our codebase. We have a well-documented process for source code but have
accepted website patches in the past on an ad hoc basis. For now, the best
approach would be to share an `svn diff` of the changes, attached as a file
to the JIRA ticket so we could review the specific lines that were updated.

To create a diff, you'll need to checkout and run the website source which
contained in SVN, and relies on a Ruby static-file generator called
Middleman. Here's the SVN repo: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mesos/site/.
We have basic instructions in a README.md file you'll see, but please let
me know if  some details are missing and I can improve specific
documentation around the process.

Thanks! And reach out if you have any questions.

Dave