Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Br...@transplace.com on 2001/12/07 17:26:48 UTC

Best Struts Web Server

All,

What is your experience with the Web server you are currently using to run
Struts?  Does it handle pages with a large number of tags well?   Have you
had to discard a certain server because of a problem in favor of another?
Any comments appreciated...

Thanks,
Brian

RE: Best Struts Web Server

Posted by "Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rs...@nolimitsystems.com>.
> jetty is better than resin?

define "better".

both jetty and jboss are open source if that is important to you (i assume
it is since you are using struts) whereas resin requires licensing fees
starting at $500/server.

both jetty and resin have both demonstrated high performance as both web
servers and servlet containers. you should discount the benchmark link on
the caucho home page somewhat because it is very much out of date (he's
using a 233MHz PII!). however, the benchmark as history is a reasonable
indicator of future performance assuming no significant architectural
changes were made in competing products.

the jetty/jboss combo and resin have both demonstrated j2ee compliance.

both have support plans that can be purchased if you don't want to rely on
community support.

i have not participated in any resin support forums so i cannot have any
opinion but i can say that the jetty support forums are spectacular and the
author, greg wilkins, is also an active participant in several servlet
discussion groups including the advanced servlet group on yahoogroups.

i don't know about clustering/load balancing/failover/distributed session
managment for either product. my impression is that orion actually has the
best support for that.

i don't know that jetty is "better" than resin but i do think that it is
worth checking out.

rjsjr

RE: Best Struts Web Server

Posted by a b <eo...@yahoo.com>.
jetty is better than resin?
--- "Robert J. Sanford, Jr."

RE: Best Struts Web Server

Posted by "Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rs...@nolimitsystems.com>.
http://jetty.mortbay.com

Re: Best Struts Web Server

Posted by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com>.

Re: Best Struts Web Server

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Resin is a real pleasure to develop with. The JSP error messages
actually make sense!

It has worked well for me in production, but only a few thousand
visitors a day for a limited time. (Special event.)

Resin now powers JGuru - www.jguru.com -- which at this point is as all
Java site. They have their own custom app for the pages, but the text
search is through Lucene.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/