Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Daniel Muller <Da...@ec-lyon.fr> on 2007/09/11 11:13:57 UTC

Fop 0.94 on a headless server

Hello,

I just installed the binary version of Fop-0.94 on a server running
under Fedora Core 5.
I have Java version 1.4.2, and trying to have have fop running.
Generating fo output works fine.
Trying to generate pdf output results in "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
display:"
Looks like some library uses Gimp toolkit, which needs Xlib. I do not
have Xlib installed.
I tried setting  -Djava.awt.headless=true but without any effect.
I looked at several places and found this problem mentioned but not
really solved.

So my questions are :
* just to know : which is the library using Gtk ?
* do I need to install Xlib or is there another solution ?
* do I need an X server running ?

Or in short : has anybody *solved* this problem, and how ?

Thank you for your help.
Daniel

  Daniel Muller: ICTT / EEA
                 Responsable Mast�re MDSI & Option 3A IC/SI
                 Ecole Centrale de Lyon
                 36, av. Guy de Collongue
                 69134 ECULLY Cedex

  e-mail: Daniel.Muller@ec-lyon.fr             fax: +33 (0)4 78 43 37 17

Re: Fop 0.94 on a headless server

Posted by Roberto Nunnari <ro...@supsi.ch>.
Hi Daniel,

that should be enough.. you're probably still missing some library or
you're not correctly passing the define to the jvm when you
launch your servlet container (tomcat?). Check your logs!

The final command that actually executes the jvm should be
something like:
# java -Djava.awt.headless=true -cp<yourClasspath> <MainClass> [opts]

see the position of the define.. order is important!

Hope that helps.

Check your logs and make sure
Daniel Muller wrote:
> Hi Robi,
>
> Thanks for the help.
> I now installed Xlib, I am using -Djava.awt.headless=true, and still
> have this frustrating message :
> "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"
>
> Does somebody know anything else I should configure to get it run ?
> What could I do to find out what is missing ?
>
> Daniel
>
> Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>> Hi Daniel.
>>

>> Daniel Muller wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just installed the binary version of Fop-0.94 on a server running
>>> under Fedora Core 5.
>>> I have Java version 1.4.2, and trying to have have fop running.
>>> Generating fo output works fine.
>>> Trying to generate pdf output results in "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
>>> display:"
>>> Looks like some library uses Gimp toolkit, which needs Xlib. I do not
>>> have Xlib installed.
>>> I tried setting  -Djava.awt.headless=true but without any effect.
>>> I looked at several places and found this problem mentioned but not
>>> really solved.
>>>
>>> So my questions are :
>>> * just to know : which is the library using Gtk ?
>>> * do I need to install Xlib or is there another solution ?
>>
>> Yes. You need to install Xlib
>>

>>> * do I need an X server running ?
>>
>> No. just use -Djava.awt.headless=true
>>

>>> Or in short : has anybody *solved* this problem, and how ?
>>
>> Yes. It is very common to run a server in headless mode (i.e. w/o X)
>>

>>> Thank you for your help.
>>> Daniel

Robi

Re: Fop 0.94 on a headless server

Posted by Daniel Muller <Da...@ec-lyon.fr>.
Hi Robi,

Posted by Roberto Nunnari <ro...@supsi.ch>.
Hi Daniel.

Daniel Muller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed the binary version of Fop-0.94 on a server running
> under Fedora Core 5.
> I have Java version 1.4.2, and trying to have have fop running.
> Generating fo output works fine.
> Trying to generate pdf output results in "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
> display:"
> Looks like some library uses Gimp toolkit, which needs Xlib. I do not
> have Xlib installed.
> I tried setting  -Djava.awt.headless=true but without any effect.
> I looked at several places and found this problem mentioned but not
> really solved.
>
> So my questions are :
> * just to know : which is the library using Gtk ?
> * do I need to install Xlib or is there another solution ?

Yes. You need to install Xlib

> * do I need an X server running ?

No. just use -Djava.awt.headless=true

> Or in short : has anybody *solved* this problem, and how ?

Yes. It is very common to run a server in headless mode (i.e. w/o X)

> Thank you for your help.
> Daniel

Robi