Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> on 2005/07/17 03:19:09 UTC

[users@httpd] ./ Relative paths fail silently / Suse Linux / shell?

Greetings and a quick question. I haven't found info on this in
newsgroup searches, google, or any other searches. I'm not sure if
it's a UNIX/shell issue or an Apache config issue that I'm having --
again, the lack of info is frustrating. It's not CGI-language
specific, either.

I rediscovered this when trying to install phpMyAdmin, which uses the
path style './some/directory/path' all over the place. It fails
silently, as does any other reference in HTML, PERL, you name it to a
path using ./

My question is -- how do I enable this in Apache? I'd just like to
access files/scripts this way (most phpMyAdmin) while still
maintaining the accessibility of this format:
pathname/another/path/file.file, which is the default behavior of
Apache under Suse 9.

Apologies if this is too basic, but I seem to have hit a brick will in
my quest for info.

Best,
~Autumnal

Re: [users@httpd] ./ Relative paths fail silently / Suse Linux / shell?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 7/16/05, Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> wrote:
> > It is completely unclear to me what problem you are trying to solve.
>
> Well, any script or HTML page that uses this type of path fails. HTML,
> PHP, PERL, you name it.

Forget about everything else until you get plain HTML working.

> > Exactly where do these relative paths occur?  What do you mean by
>
> In any of the above pages or scripts.
>
> > "fails silently"?  If you are having problems with paths in html
>
> What I mean is that no error is sent to the browser nor generated in
> the log files -- in the case of say, a PHP script. Execution stops
> cold when it reaches this point. Removing the "./" allows the script
> to go forward. Thus my question -- how do I allow the
> "./some/path/here" type path to be used in scripts, pages, etc that
> are served by Apache?

And what happens when you include such links in an html page?  Can you
give us the URL for an html page including such links that dosen't
work?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] ./ Relative paths fail silently / Suse Linux / shell?

Posted by Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com>.
Joshua Slive said:
> On 7/16/05, Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> wrote:
>>

> It is completely unclear to me what problem you are trying to solve.

Well, any script or HTML page that uses this type of path fails. HTML,
PHP, PERL, you name it.

> Exactly where do these relative paths occur?  What do you mean by

In any of the above pages or scripts.

> "fails silently"?  If you are having problems with paths in html

What I mean is that no error is sent to the browser nor generated in
the log files -- in the case of say, a PHP script. Execution stops
cold when it reaches this point. Removing the "./" allows the script
to go forward. Thus my question -- how do I allow the
"./some/path/here" type path to be used in scripts, pages, etc that
are served by Apache?

> pages, then that has nothing directly to do with apache.  The browser

Strange. The browser doesn't seem to have a problem resolving this
sort of path on other systems, so why would it fail silently when
accessing pages or scripts on this server? It doesn't seem to be a
UNIX exception, as the script for phpMyAdmin (an SQL admin tool using
PHP) is written with ./some/path/here paths all over the place.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 7/16/05, Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> wrote:

> Greetings and a quick question. I haven't found info on this in
> newsgroup searches, google, or any other searches. I'm not sure if
> it's a UNIX/shell issue or an Apache config issue that I'm having --
> again, the lack of info is frustrating. It's not CGI-language
> specific, either.
>
> I rediscovered this when trying to install phpMyAdmin, which uses the
> path style './some/directory/path' all over the place. It fails
> silently, as does any other reference in HTML, PERL, you name it to a
> path using ./
>
> My question is -- how do I enable this in Apache? I'd just like to
> access files/scripts this way (most phpMyAdmin) while still
> maintaining the accessibility of this format:
> pathname/another/path/file.file, which is the default behavior of
> Apache under Suse 9.
>
> Apologies if this is too basic, but I seem to have hit a brick will in
> my quest for info.

It is completely unclear to me what problem you are trying to solve.
Exactly where do these relative paths occur?  What do you mean by
"fails silently"?  If you are having problems with paths in html
pages, then that has nothing directly to do with apache.  The browser
is resolving those paths.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] ./ Relative paths fail silently / Suse Linux / shell?

Posted by haresh ghoghari <hd...@yahoo.com>.
If you will provide http.conf details or virtual host
through which you are accessing PhpMyAdmin.
and Installation directory of PhpMyAdmin then  I may
figure out something for you .

-Haresh