Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Nikolay Jordanov <Ni...@detica.com> on 2006/04/07 10:25:07 UTC

Betwixt problem with Date formats

Hi,

Can anyone point me to a simple example of how to get Betwixt to convert
Date format using ConvertUtils?
There is some information in
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/betwixt-0.5/guide/binding.html
which refers to a ConvertUtilsObjectStringConverter - but it is not
obvious how to proceed, and a search of the web reveals no examples. A
simple Hello World example of how date conversion is implemented would
be very useful.

Many thanks,
Nik

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory.  The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies within the Detica Group plc group of companies.

Detica Limited is registered in England under No: 1337451.

Registered offices: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.

Re: Betwixt problem with Date formats

Posted by Mornak <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

you should create your own ObjectStringConverter and set it in the
configuraton object like this:
BeanReader beanReader = new BeanReader();
beanReader.getBindingConfiguration().setObjectStringConverter(new
CustomObjectStringConverter());

public class CustomObjectStringConverter extends DefaultObjectStringConverter
{
	private DateFormat dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyyMMdd");

	public String objectToString(Object objeto, Class clase, String
flavour, Context contexto)
	{
		if (objeto != null)
		{
			if (objeto instanceof Date)
			{
				return dateFormat.format((Date) objeto);
			}

		}
		return super.objectToString(objeto, clase, flavour, contexto);
	}

	public Object stringToObject(String dato, Class clase, String
flavour, Context contexto)
	{
		try
		{
			if (Date.class.equals(clase))
			{
				return dateFormat.parse(dato.trim());
			}
		}
		catch (Exception e)
		{
			System.err.println("Error de parseo parseando a " + clase + "el
string=" + dato);
			return null;
		}
		return super.stringToObject(dato, clase, flavour, contexto);
	}

}

I hope this will be useful for you

PS: excuse my terrible english