Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Sven Kuenzler <sv...@gmx.net> on 2000/06/18 14:37:44 UTC

Getting started

Hi,

I just downloaded the SOAP package from xml.apache.org and tried to get
it started. However, I encountered two problems:

- deploy.jsp does not work out of the box because there is no
org.apache.soap.Constants.NS_URI_BML_ENC defined.
I commented that one out, and it worked.

-After deploying the samples using
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient, I could not get the the
examples to work.
Even the ServiceManagerClient itself behaved strangely: I first applied
it to the calculator example. Though it seemed to work (the calculator
appeared in the services list), the ServiceManagerClient did not exit
but I had to stop it with ^C.

When using it with the address book sample, the ServiceManagerClient
told me something about a non well-formed root element.
Nevertheless, again the service appeared on the service list.

When actually trying the samples itself, the calculator for example, I
get an exception telling me that the connection was reset by peer.

Unfortunatly, the server response is not very verbose:

[Quoting from TCP monitor]
> HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:13:06 GMT
> Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web Server/3.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.2.2; Linux 2.2.14 i386; java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)

I also looked into [tomcat|jasper].log but did not find any further
information.

Any ideas?

	Sven.....

--
We must admit that looking at progress bars does not qualify as working
	-- Apocalypse Geek

Re: Getting started

Posted by Thomas Papiernik <th...@papiernik.net>.
May be you use xerces 1.1.1 Try with 1.0.3. This version of xml-soap just
work with that version of xerces.

Best regards,

Thomas Papiernik

Re: Getting started

Re: Getting started

Posted by Sven Kuenzler <sv...@gmx.net>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> I have fixed this in the CVS repository already. Sorry; this got
> in because we tried to change the URIs to Apache names instead of IBM.
> Not enough testing ..

No problem. I'm just checking out the CVS version and then I'll try
again...

> Hmm. I did test this part and it worked ok. There's a bug in Xerces
> 1.1.1 with getAttributeNS that breaks Apache SOAP. So if you're using
> that please revert to Xerces 1.0.3 and give it a shot.

No, I'm just verified I am using Xerces 1.0.3
Well as I said, I will try the CVS version. Looking at the code, I
should be able to track down where it actually breaks.

One thing I found out about the Calculator. This thing is not working
because bsf claims it cannot find "javascript"  language.
I put bsj[engine].jar and js.jar from rhino into the classpath. What
else is required?

The Java samples work O.K., btw. I put some  debug messages into the
addressbook and it they are telling my that it is finding the requested
addresses. However, the calling client does not get the data.

Well, maybe more luck with the new version... let's see.

	Sven....

Re: Getting started

Posted by Sven Kuenzler <sv...@gmx.net>.

Re: Getting started

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
> I just downloaded the SOAP package from xml.apache.org and tried to get
> it started. However, I encountered two problems:
>
> - deploy.jsp does not work out of the box because there is no
> org.apache.soap.Constants.NS_URI_BML_ENC defined.
> I commented that one out, and it worked.

I have fixed this in the CVS repository already. Sorry; this got
in because we tried to change the URIs to Apache names instead of IBM.
Not enough testing ..

> -After deploying the samples using
> org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient, I could not get the the
> examples to work.
> Even the ServiceManagerClient itself behaved strangely: I first applied
> it to the calculator example. Though it seemed to work (the calculator
> appeared in the services list), the ServiceManagerClient did not exit
> but I had to stop it with ^C.
>
> When using it with the address book sample, the ServiceManagerClient
> told me something about a non well-formed root element.
> Nevertheless, again the service appeared on the service list.
>
> When actually trying the samples itself, the calculator for example, I
> get an exception telling me that the connection was reset by peer.

Hmm. I did test this part and it worked ok. There's a bug in Xerces
1.1.1 with getAttributeNS that breaks Apache SOAP. So if you're using
that please revert to Xerces 1.0.3 and give it a shot.

Sanjiva.

Re: Getting started

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.