Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@axelera.net> on 2003/02/25 17:47:13 UTC

Tomcat startup error, probably related to tapestry.

Hi,

I have a very strange problem that happens from time to time ( on average
one out
of three ) starting up our tomcat-server. Our platform is Solaris, but the
same
problem is noticed on Windows.

I hereby attach the log, which gives me the idea that the initiation of
tapestry
( does it load XML? ) is involved.

Thanx,

lieven.

--------- tomcat 4.1.18 startup
log -----------------------------------------------------

Feb 25, 2003 5:28:22 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry loadRegistry
INFO: Loading registry information
Feb 25, 2003 5:28:23 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getRegistry
INFO: Creating new Registry instance
Feb 25, 2003 5:28:24 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getServer
INFO: Creating MBeanServer
mod_jk location: libexec/mod_jk.so
Make sure it is installed corectly or set the config location
Using <ApacheConfig modJk="PATH_TO_MOD_JK.SO_OR_DLL" />
Can't find workers.properties at
/export/home/jakarta-tomcat-development/conf/worker.list
Please install it in the default location or set the config location
Using <ApacheConfig workersConfig="FULL_PATH" />
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
1 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$BooleanAdaptor@2db19d for java.lang.Boolean
13 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$NumberAdaptor@1ff92f5 for java.lang.Number
19 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$CollectionAdaptor@2f0d54 for java.util.Collection
23 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$StringAdaptor@a9255c for java.lang.String
27 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$1@1961581 for java.lang.Object
34 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$2@113beb5 for java.util.Iterator
37 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$3@d17ec3 for java.util.Collection
41 [main] INFO util.AdaptorRegistry - Registered
net.sf.tapestry.Tapestry$4@193f6e2 for java.lang.Object
DIGESTER>addRuleSet() with no namespace URI
Time : 5991
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>addRuleSet() with no namespace URI
Time : 5995
Level : FINE

SAX>setDocumentLocator(org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser$LocatorPr
oxy@c943d1)
Time : 6019
Level : FINE

SAX>startDocument()
Time : 6020
Level : FINE

SAX>startElement(,,Context)
Time : 6023
Level : FINE

DIGESTER> Pushing body text ''
Time : 6024
Level : FINE

DIGESTER> New match='Context'
Time : 6026
Level : FINE

DIGESTER> Fire begin() for
ObjectCreateRule[className=org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext,
attributeName=className]
Time : 6028
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>[ObjectCreateRule]{Context}New
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
Time : 6029
Level : FINE

DIGESTER> Fire begin() for SetPropertiesRule[]
Time : 6031
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>[SetPropertiesRule]{Context} Setting property 'path' to '/admin'
Time : 6033
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>[SetPropertiesRule]{Context} Setting property 'docBase' to
'../server/webapps/admin'
Time : 6035
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>[SetPropertiesRule]{Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0'
Time : 6036
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>[SetPropertiesRule]{Context} Setting property 'privileged' to
'true'
Time : 6038
Level : FINE

DIGESTER>[SetPropertiesRule]{Context} Set
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext properties
Time : 6040
Level : FINE

BEANUTILS>BeanUtils.populate(StandardContext[null], {debug=0,
privileged=true, docBase=../server/webapps/admin, path=/admin})
Time : 6042
Level : FINE

BEANUTILS> setProperty(StandardContext[null], debug, 0)
Time : 6045
Level : FINEST

CONVERTUTILS>Convert string '0' to class 'int'
Time : 6047
Level : FINE

RE: Tomcat startup error, probably related to tapestry.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Those messages are output when the log4j.properties file is missing or
configured incorrectly.  Tapestry distro include config/log4j.properties
that has the right configuration.

You may have some code (perhaps in a servlet init() method) that changes
Log4J levels.  The Tapestry servlet, when initializating, will trigger those
messages.  You may have a race condition between the Tapestry servlet and
the code that directly sets Log4J levels.

Perhaps those messages should be changed from INFO to DEBUG?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components