Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/25 11:37:59 UTC

What do you use Apache MINA for?

Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA

Listing a few that I know of

1. Apache Directory server
2. AsyncWeb (MINA sub-project)
3. FTPServer (MINA sub-project)
4. SNMP Trap Receiver (Application that I build -
http://www.hsc.com/HSFiles/Wpos/WhitePaper_Trap_Receiver_using_Apache_MINA.pdf)
5. ssh server (upcoming MINA sub-project)
6. OpenLSD
7. Red5
8. SpanDrain

You can share the way you use MINA.

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Andres Martinez Quijano <tu...@gmail.com>.
I'm using mina as a multiplayer game server

Posted by Matthew Phillips <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 26/11/2008, at 9:21 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Matthew Phillips wrote:
>> The Avis event notification router and client library uses MINA.
>>
>>  http://avis.sourceforge.net/
>>
> Interesting... I see that you are using MINA since it's infancy
> (1.0.2) and that you switched to 2.0.0-M3 in your trunk.
>
> Do you mind giving us some feedback about the versions you used
> (which one was the easiest, which one is the fastest, what are the
> nasty problem you hit)?

MINA was easy to pick up, the protocol decoder thing and filters
fitted my mental model of how it should work -- it definitely saved a
great deal of time in developing Avis. I wish I had had the equivalent
when developing the C API :/

I only really switched to 2.0 so early (started with M1 I think) so I
could pull in asyncweb to add a web-based admin interface: it's been
quite a lot of work tracking API changes and running into MINA bugs.
2.0-M3 seems good at the moment though, and I was glad to see such
quick consensus on getting 2.0 stabilised soon.

Some of the things that have been problems:

* IO flushing: I've never been quite sure how to ensure that messages
still in the pipe are sent after a session close (). Shutting down a
server cleanly seems tricky, and I'm still not entirely sure that I'm
doing it right actually :/

* DIRMINA-435: An interesting heisenbug that only happened on Windows,
and only over a high-latency overseas link. Nasty, but we found the
bug in the end. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-435.

* Direct vs heap buffers. Using direct buffers has caused several out
of memory errors running on Linux over long periods (weeks), switching
to heap buffers has fixed.

* Running multiple server listen endpoints and sharing thread pools
etc is a little tricky, especially when the server also creates
outgoing links via MINA.

I haven't run any performance benchmarks: apart from DIRMINA-609 and
the direct buffer thing, I've never had a performance issue with MINA.

Hope that random selection of anecdotes is useful!

Cheers,

Matthew.

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Matthew Phillips wrote:
> The Avis event notification router and client library uses MINA.
>
>   http://avis.sourceforge.net/
Interesting... I see that you are using MINA since it's infancy (1.0.2)
and that you switched to 2.0.0-M3 in your trunk.

Do you mind giving us some feedback about the versions you used (which
one was the easiest, which one is the fastest, what are the nasty
problem you hit)?

Thanks !

> MINA's "related projects" page also has a number of links:
>
>   http://mina.apache.org/related-projects.html
yes, I think Ashish is trying to collect more recent information in
order to update the site (this part has not changed since, hmmm, a long
time ! 18/11/2007)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Matthew Phillips <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@gmail.com>.
We are using mina to build a "configuration server". The idea is to create a
administration infrastructure that will enable remote administration of
linux systems.

--
Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz
software developer - certified scrum master

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks All for the inputs. Have published all the comments @
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MINA/Testimonials

There were two reason's for this mail
1. Wanted to collect different uses of Apache MINA. A list like this
helps people, who want to use MINA for their projects on all possible
usage

2. Such a list give users options to reuse already existing open
source solutions.

Will be great if people can send links to their work, if possible.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ashish wrote:
> Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA
>
> Listing a few that I know of
>
> 1. Apache Directory server
> 2. AsyncWeb (MINA sub-project)
> 3. FTPServer (MINA sub-project)
> 4. SNMP Trap Receiver (Application that I build -
> http://www.hsc.com/HSFiles/Wpos/WhitePaper_Trap_Receiver_using_Apache_MINA.pdf)
> 5. ssh server (upcoming MINA sub-project)
> 6. OpenLSD
> 7. Red5
> 8. SpanDrain
>
> You can share the way you use MINA.

I forgot to mention that the Vysper apache lab is based on MINA :
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/labs/vysper

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
I've used it to build:

(1) A framework for Paxos consensus
(2) A remote transport for a JavaSpace
(3) A transport for various gossip-based protocols

Posted by Jan Krabbenbos <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'm planning to use it within a chess tournament server for gathering
real time games and distribute them to different clients for viewing
and publishing.

Greetings,
Jan

Posted by Lance Woodson <la...@stgutah.com>.
I'm developing distributed productivity apps for mobile devices
(Android first, then iPhone).  I also plan to make some distributed
games for mobile devices.

I also know that Sun's game server project (Darkstar) used Mina for
its java client base in the past.  I am not sure if that is still the
case.  You might want to ask them over there.
http://www.projectdarkstar.com/

Posted by Steve Ulrich <st...@proemion.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Alexander Christian <al...@root1.de>.
I'm using MINA to build a kind of router friendly, high scalable RMI
replacement ...

---> www.root1.de/project_simon

br,
Alex

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:07:59 +0530, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA
>
> Listing a few that I know of
>
> 1. Apache Directory server
> 2. AsyncWeb (MINA sub-project)
> 3. FTPServer (MINA sub-project)
> 4. SNMP Trap Receiver (Application that I build -

http://www.hsc.com/HSFiles/Wpos/WhitePaper_Trap_Receiver_using_Apache_MINA.pdf)
> 5. ssh server (upcoming MINA sub-project)
> 6. OpenLSD
> 7. Red5
> 8. SpanDrain
>
> You can share the way you use MINA.
>
> --
> thanks
> ashish

It's not a bug. It's a feature!

Re : What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr>.
Following projects also use MINA : - SubEthaSMTP provides a SMTP MINA server
- Mailster is a visual tool that includes a POP3 & SMTP MINA servers
to provide easy testing of email functionnalities of an app.

 Cordialement, Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

________________________________

Posted by Abhijit Bhatode <ab...@persistent.co.in>.
We are using MINA for a proxy server

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA

Listing a few that I know of

1. Apache Directory server
2. AsyncWeb (MINA sub-project)
3. FTPServer (MINA sub-project)
4. SNMP Trap Receiver (Application that I build -
http://www.hsc.com/HSFiles/Wpos/WhitePaper_Trap_Receiver_using_Apache_MINA.p
df)
5. ssh server (upcoming MINA sub-project)
6. OpenLSD
7. Red5
8. SpanDrain

You can share the way you use MINA.

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Matthew Estes <ma...@maintree.com>.
I'm using it for an asynchronous messaging framework(think RPC/RMI), which
is mostly done, but needs documenting and clean up. I also plan to use it
to for the HTTP part of a web framework/container. Most of my work is/will
be Apache 2.0 licensed open source.

                                          Matt Estes

Posted by Bakary Dialaya DJIBA <di...@gmail.com>.
FtpServer....

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA
>
> Listing a few that I know of
>
> 1. Apache Directory server
> 2. AsyncWeb (MINA sub-project)
> 3. FTPServer (MINA sub-project)
> 4. SNMP Trap Receiver (Application that I build -
>
> http://www.hsc.com/HSFiles/Wpos/WhitePaper_Trap_Receiver_using_Apache_MINA.pdf
> )
> 5. ssh server (upcoming MINA sub-project)
> 6. OpenLSD
> 7. Red5
> 8. SpanDrain
>
> You can share the way you use MINA.
>
> --
> thanks
> ashish

Bakary,

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Lorenz Breu <br...@hot-shot.com>.
currently working on the following:

- implement SLP support for ApacheDS in order to turn it into a
Directory Agent for SLP
which requires
- porting jSLP to the MINA framework (almost done)
which requires
- multicast capabilities in MINA based on the transport-apr package of
MINA (first version cobbled together, seems to work for the jSLP port)
which requires
- some typoes fixed in the tomcat-native code (should be fixed in the
upcoming release)

lorenz

Re: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ashish wrote:
> Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA

I will add a short description of what MINA is used for...
> Listing a few that I know of
>
> 1. Apache Directory server

MINA handles the following protocols in ADS :
 - LDAP
 - DNS
 - NTP
 - DHCP
 - Kerberos
We also use it to manage replication (using a specific protocol to
communicate between two LDAP server). A LDAP client is being drafted
atm, using MINA 2.0 too.

We are using 1.1.7 currently, but a migration to 2.0 is ready (and we
will switch as soon as 2.0.0-M4 will be released)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

RE: What do you use Apache MINA for?

Posted by Stephane Rainville <st...@hotmail.com>.

I'm using it to built a homegrown game server with a FLASh/FLEX front end.

It's non comemrcial but a good learning experience.

Posted by Viktor Balazs <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <Je...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <Je...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@gmail.com>.
We used Mina to build an internal distributed coherent cache system.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wanted to collect a list of application/tools build using Apache MINA
>
> Listing a few that I know of
>
> 1. Apache Directory server
> 2. AsyncWeb (MINA sub-project)
> 3. FTPServer (MINA sub-project)
> 4. SNMP Trap Receiver (Application that I build -
> http://www.hsc.com/HSFiles/Wpos/WhitePaper_Trap_Receiver_using_Apache_MINA.pdf)
> 5. ssh server (upcoming MINA sub-project)
> 6. OpenLSD
> 7. Red5
> 8. SpanDrain
>
> You can share the way you use MINA.