Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/07 09:42:50 UTC

IDEA 12.1 cannot build Apache Camel project anymore

Hi

Just a heads up for IDEA users. IDEA 12.0.x works fine.
But the new 12.1 cannot build the project anymore, you cannot even run
and debug unit tests, making it total useless for using. Will have to
revert to the 12.0.x for now.

Logged a ticket at Jetbrains
http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-104772

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: IDEA 12.1 cannot build Apache Camel project anymore

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Dan

Still I really can not follow you as first you say:

> The original poms were causing the generated code to get compiled with the
> rest of the sources, stuck in target/classes, and then output into the
> jars. Having test specific stuff in the final jars is not really a good
> thing.

And as I said I can't find any generated test related classes inside the
final JAR, neither on the central repo:

http://repo1.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/camel-cxf/2.10.4/camel-cxf-2.10.4.jar

Nor with the CURRENT trunk code on my local workspace AFTER my commit:

~/dev/workspace/camel/components/camel-cxf/target/camel-cxf-2.12-SNAPSHOT.jar

You say:

> That's because we're currently using the maven-bundle-plugin to filter out
> those classes by not adding them to the exports. That's a separate issue
> and a bit bizzarre.

Anyway even after my fix the CURRENT trunk code does NOT include any test
related classes under the path "camel/components/camel-cxf/target/classes"
so that I hope with can keep hold on this until

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-409

is fixed (if at all).

Babak

dkulp@apache.org wrote

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
I'll look.
You normally just point to the parent Pom and say open project.

If generated sources for test are missing for a module you can easily add that.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Apr 8, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Can you elaborate this main "fix" a bit more as looking at the following
> latest released final JAR of camel-cxf on the central repo I don't find
> any test relevant generated class like "org.apache.camel.pizza.Pizza"
> which gets generated through
> "camel-cxf/src/test/resources/pizza_service.wsdl":
>
> http://repo1.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/camel-cxf/2.10.4/came
> l-cxf-2.10.4.jar
>

> The same goes for my current local SNAPSHOT JAR from trunk
> camel-cxf-2.12-SNAPSHOT.jar!

That's because we're currently using the maven-bundle-plugin to filter out those classes by not adding them to the exports.  That's a separate issue and a bit bizzarre.

However, if you checkout 2.10.x-fixes (haven't applied the fixes there yet) and build, you will see all the test classes in target/classes/org/apache/camel/pizza and such which then affects latter tests (from maven command line) as the classes dir can be added which they would be present for (if you run "mvn test" instead of "mvn install").

> Questions:
> - Is there any JIRA ticket describing this problem so I can understand the
> issue you've already fixed regarding this?
> - Is there any commit of yours other than the following I'm missing which
> resolved the problem you're describing here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1458383

It was semi-part of stuff I discovered while working on:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1458364

as revisions 1457229 and/or 1457242 caused complete eclipse breakage due to overlapping resources directories with the output directories. (generating a resource directly into target/classes, but adding target/classes as a resource directory, caused the generated eclipse project to not be valid).   Evolutions of discovery while diagnosing that issue.

Dan

> Babak
>

>>> Actually the root cause of the problem is this closed/duplicate
>>> JIRA ticket:
>>>
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-409
>>>
>>> So although I agree with you that generate-test-sources is the RIGHT
>>> phase
>>> to use, more importantly I prefer to NOT break things already working
>>> EVEN
>>> IF they're technically wrong from a Maven standpoint of view. So better
>>> let's keep things working as they ALREADY do until such JIRA tickets are
>>> properly fixed. Then we can of course upgrade to whatever
>>> maven-eclipse-plugin version this issue has been already fixed with.
>>>
>>> Babak

>> --
>> Daniel Kulp

Daniel Kulp

Re: IDEA 12.1 cannot build Apache Camel project anymore

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Apr 8, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
> Am 08.04.13 16:59 schrieb "Daniel Kulp" unter <dk...@apache.org>:
> On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>
>> How are you pulling Camel into Eclipse?    m2e or using the
>> maven-eclipse-plugin?  If using the latter, you should likely be using
>> our -Psetup.eclipse profile that would run to the appropriate phase
>> (process-test-sources) before calling the plugin.   (or do "mvn
>> process-test-sources eclipse:eclipse")
>
> I do exactly the same SIMPLE way the documentation recommends:
>
> http://camel.apache.org/building.html#Building-UsinganIDE

Well, I would say those docs could be wrong or could be updated.

> And NO even the usage of the setup.eclipse profile will not help either
> (see below for the reason, but you're welcome to try it by yourself if you
> don't believe this),

Umm…  -Psetup.eclipse does work.   That's how I've been setting it up for years.   It sets the default target to be the process-test-sources and then adds the eclipse plugin into the mix after that.  I'm failing to see how this doesn't work.   The additional benefit of the setup.eclipse is to get all the other things (like checkstyle and pmd things) into there.

> as well I don't see any good reason why I should
> (because of this commit) always call the EXTRA build phase
> "process-test-sources" (yes that would work but our Wiki SAYS something
> else as per link above!)

Then fix the wiki!

> And don't want to install any m2e plugin just because of that commit
> either even if using the eclipse m2e plugin probably could resolve the
> problem (didn't even try that)

Likely no.  That's why I asked.  m2e generally has issues with projects as large and complex as Camel.   I did spend a lot of time trying to get it to work  for CXF and never really managed to get it to work acceptably.  Never tried Camel though.

> as I insist to stick to whatever
> documentation we manage/maintain at Apache so that I'm -1 to that commit
> of yours.

The main "fix" in that original commit was to get the generated test sources out of the final jars.   The original poms we causing the generated code to get compiled with the rest of the sources, stuck in target/classes, and then output into the jars.    Having test specific stuff in the final jars is not really a good thing.

Dan

Daniel Kulp

Re: IDEA 12.1 cannot build Apache Camel project anymore

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.

Am 08.04.13 16:59 schrieb "Daniel Kulp" unter <dk...@apache.org>:

>On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've committed a fix for this, so please shout out if this causes any
>> problems for your workspace/IDE.
>
>This commit moves the generation of the test classes out of the
>generate-test-sources and into the generate-sources phase, which from a
>maven standpoint is technically wrong.
>
>How are you pulling Camel into Eclipse?    m2e or using the
>maven-eclipse-plugin?  If using the latter, you should likely be using
>our -Psetup.eclipse profile that would run to the appropriate phase
>(process-test-sources) before calling the plugin.   (or do "mvn
>process-test-sources eclipse:eclipse")

I do exactly the same SIMPLE way the documentation recommends:

http://camel.apache.org/building.html#Building-UsinganIDE

And NO even the usage of the setup.eclipse profile will not help either
(see below for the reason, but you're welcome to try it by yourself if you
don't believe this), as well I don't see any good reason why I should
(because of this commit) always call the EXTRA build phase
"process-test-sources" (yes that would work but our Wiki SAYS something
else as per link above!)

And don't want to install any m2e plugin just because of that commit
either even if using the eclipse m2e plugin probably could resolve the
problem (didn't even try that) as I insist to stick to whatever
documentation we manage/maintain at Apache so that I'm -1 to that commit
of yours. Actually the root cause of the problem is this closed/duplicate
JIRA ticket:

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've committed a fix for this, so please shout out if this causes any
> problems for your workspace/IDE.

This commit moves the generation of the test classes out of the generate-test-sources and into the generate-sources phase, which from a maven standpoint is technically wrong.

How are you pulling Camel into Eclipse?    m2e or using the maven-eclipse-plugin?  If using the latter, you should likely be using our -Psetup.eclipse profile that would run to the appropriate phase (process-test-sources) before calling the plugin.   (or do "mvn process-test-sources eclipse:eclipse")

Dan

> Babak
>

> Babak Vahdat wrote
>> Hi
>>
>> Using eclipse I've got some similar build problems as well by some modules
>> like camel-soap or camel-cxf where eclipse is not able to see any of the
>> Java sources being generated by cxf-codegen-plugin. I digged a bit into
>> this and came to the following commit:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1458383
>>
>> As an example if I revert the following change of this commit then eclipse
>> is happy and camel-soap builds properly again:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/camel/trunk/components/camel-soap/pom.xml?r1=1458383&r2=1458382&pathrev=1458383
>>
>> Other way of fixing the compilation problem under eclipse for this module
>> is to add the following source folder *manually*:
>>
>> camel/components/camel-soap/target/generated/src/test/java
>>
>> And yes I was suspicious about my old 2011 eclipse installation could be
>> the root cause of this build problem, but upgrading to the newest version:
>>
>>  Version: Juno Service Release 2
>>  Build id: 20130225-0426
>>
>> didn't make any change.
>>
>> Anybody else using eclipse having similar build problems on trunk?
>>
>> Babak

Daniel Kulp

Re: IDEA 12.1 cannot build Apache Camel project anymore

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi