Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2003/12/14 14:42:56 UTC

task description attribute

I must have the wrong idea about the description attr. - I had a task:

   <target name="init" depends="common-init"
      description="sets up appserver properties & classpath">

and I want to change it to the following so that I can have as many
lines of description as I wish.

   <target name="init" depends="common-init">
     <description>
       Sets up the appserver properties and classpath and
       calls common-init from $HOME/build.xml
       blah blah blah
     </description>
     .... etc

My aim is to get rid of the <!-- comments --> in my build files because
they are making it confusing, now my build files are getting big. I
guess I could change emacs to make the comment font color different, but
even then I wouldn't be totally happy.

This <description>comment</description> works fine, or rather, it
doesn't stop ant, apart from ant -projecthelp. This prints out all
description tags without any reference to the task name, and it misses
out the targets in the main targets list which don't have the
description="comment" attribute.

I guess I'm making a feature request, or is there some other approach?
--
ant 1.6beta1 + java 1.4.2 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9