Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Marc F." <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/31 16:34:37 UTC

Axis2 and Tomcat 5.0.28 commons-logging-api

First of all, I would like to thank everyone from the Apache Axis2 project.
I am using the newer version 1.4.1 of Axis2, with Java 1.4.2. Thank you very
much for the efforts in order to make Axis2 compatible to that version of
Java. I work at a software company that still uses Java 1.4.2, that´s why we
decided to use Axis2. Othewise we would discard Axis2. Not to mention the C
language compatibility that Axis2 has. We also use C language in our
development, so probably one day we will also take advantage of this feature
of Axis2. Thank you, Axis2 team!

Well, now my question...

Since the jar file "commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" comes with Axis2, in the
WEB-INF/lib/ directory of its war file, I believe Axis2 should use the
version 1.1.1 of the commons-logging API.

Tomcat 5.0.28 uses by default the commons-logging version 1.0.4. The
"commons-logging-api.jar" file that Tomcat 5.0.28 uses by default is located
in [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory. I believe this jar file is loaded when we
startup Tomcat.

If I do not modify anything in the environment, that is, if I accept a
default environment, with the "axis2.war" file installed in the
[CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/ directory, exactly according to the Axis2
installation manual, everything seems to be working correctly. But, I think
everything ONLY seems to be working correctly, because I have the following
question: when I call the Axis2 Happiness page I see that the
commons-logging API version that seems to be used by Axis2 is the one
located inside "commons-logging-api.jar" in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/
directory, and not the one located inside "commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" in the
[CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/lib/ directory. Isn´t that strange? I
mean, if Axis2 should use the version 1.1.1, isn´t there something wrong in
this default environment?

I understand the Tomcat classloading mechanism, and I can comprehend why the
default commons-logging API version 1.0.4 that comes with Tomcat has the
precedence over the version 1.1.1 that comes with Axis2. My question is just
this: isn´t there something wrong in this default environment?

I notice that even in the Axis2 manual there is a picture that shows the
Axis2 Happiness page, where we can see the
[CATALINA_HOME]/bin/commons-logging-api-jar as one of the "Essential
components", so everybody could think "oh, since even in the Axis2 manual
there is such a picture, that´s normal, everything should be correct", but I
am the exception. I cannot avoid this sensation that there is something
wrong, and again, the same question appears in my mind, and it´s been
causing troubles in my mind. I can´t even sleep well during the night,
because I´ve been always asking myself the same question: isn´t there
something wrong in this default environment? I am using Axis2 at my company,
in a real production environment, so that´s why I am so worried about this
issue.

I tried to replace the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/commons-logging-api-jar by that
one that comes with Axis2. I did that renaming the
"commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" to "commons-logging-api.jar", and then I put
this renamed jar file in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory. I know this
version of Tomcat hardcoded the name of the jar file in its source code,
therefore that´s why we should rename the jar file if we want to use a newer
version of that API, othewise we are not even able to startup Tomcat. The
problem is that, when I did that, the following exception happened during
the startup:

SEVERE: End event threw exception
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: User-specified log
class 'org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger' cannot be found or is
not useable.

And then the axis2 context is not initialized.

Isn´t this fact strange? I mean, now I am trying to make, "by brute force",
the version 1.1.1 of commons-logging available to the Axis2 environment,
that is the version that is supposed to work with Axis2, but when I do that,
the axis2 context is not even being initialized! The Tomcat itself and all
the rest of its contexts is being initialized, except axis2 context. I am
trying to make the correct version of the API available, but it seems that
Axis2 is not accepting this. Isn´t that strange? Isn´t that contradictory?

My next try was putting the "commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" file in the
[CATALINA_HOME]/common/endorsed/ (without renaming the jar file ), but it
was again unsuccessful. The same problem happened, the same exception
occurred.

Of course, when I comment the line
"org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger",
from the
[CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/classes/commons-logging.properties,
the axis2 context is, at least, initialized. But is it really permitted
(commenting that line)? Does Axis2 still work properly when we comment that
line?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Axis2 and Tomcat 5.0.28 commons-logging-api

Posted by "Marc F." <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have to point people out about an article written by Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml;
(one of the programmers, maybe the main programmer, that developed Log4j).
Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml; also wrote the book "The complete Log4j manual". So, I
think we can trust the article:

http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp Taxonomy of class loader problems
encountered when using Jakarta Commons Logging

This article clarified everything. In my opinion, the article is extremely
important. After running all those examples, now I am capable of
comprehending how, in fact, the classloading mechanism in Tomcat works.
Well, not only in Tomcat, but in Java platform itself as well. The
classloading problem is not limited to a free web container like Tomcat. It
can possibly happen in, for example, WebSphere, or any other commercial
application server. That´s because this problem is not related to the web
container, but to the Java platform itself, actually.

In fact, citing another example, a very common problem when using
webservices, that is also related to the parent/child classloading
relationship is:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
javax/wsdl/PortType.getExtensionAttributes()Ljava/util/Map

This problem can happen when a different version of wsdl4j-XXX.jar is placed
in a parent classpath directory, comparing to the version placed in the
child classpath directory. It doesn´t matter how web container, free or
commercial, is being used.

Now I can understand how the classloading mechanism can cause bugs, if it is
not used correctly.

In the Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml;´s article, it is strongly recommended to NOT
include commons-logging.jar and log4j.jar in the web-applications'
WEB-INF/lib/ directory, if Tomcat is used. Well, although this
recommendation be the best practice, I am not following this rule exactly,
due to some restrictions in my environment. I do include those two jars in
the WEB-INF/lib/ directory (contradicting the recommendation). I just have
to guarantee that those two jars are not in a shared classpath directory
either, that would be a "parent classpath directory" (in Tomcat, it would
be, for example, the [CATALINA_HOME]/shared/lib/ directory). I am sure that
it works without problems because I run all those examples in the Ceki
G&uuml;lc&uuml;´s article and I understood all of them.

Re: Axis2 and Tomcat 5.0.28 commons-logging-api

Posted by "Marc F." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Marc F. wrote:

> I think I figured out what´s going on, and I think now I know how to solve
> my problem. If I am wrong, anyone, please tell me.
>
> When I tried to replace the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/commons-logging-api.jar by
> that one that comes with Axis2 (commons-logging-1.1.1.jar), actually, I
> tried to replace the API (Application Programming Interface) by the FULL
> IMPLEMENTATION. This jar file replacement is not correct, according to the
> following web page from the commons-logging official site I´ve found,
> where explains exactly what I want to know:
>
>  http://commons.apache.org/logging/troubleshooting.html#Apache%20Tomcat
> Containers With Custom ClassLoading Behaviour for Logging (Tomcat)
>
> Thanks again, and again, and again, for all those detailed informations
> you, commons-logging development team, provide to us. Oh, no surprise, we
> are talking about Apache, we are talking about the Apache team!
> Congratulations for this very well done work, guys, especially when it
> comes to providing useful, detailed, and essential informations.
>
> I quoted a piece of the text that I consider important:
>
> If you do wish to update Tomcat's version of commons-logging, then you
> must use the commons-logging-1.1-api jar only, not the full jar.
>
> Then, after reading this web page, I simply downloaded
> "commons-logging-api-1.1.1.jar", and put in in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/
> directory. I´ve also renamed this jar file to "commons-logging-api.jar".
>
> Certainly the commons-logging jar file that comes with Axis2 is the full
> jar, not the API jar. That´s probably why when I tried to put this jar
> file in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory I had problems in the
> initialization of the axis2 context.
>
> Now I am not having any kind of problem.
>

> I think there are two possible solutions:
>
> (1)In the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory, replace the version 1.0.4 of
> commons-logging-api.jar by the newer version 1.1.1 of the API, without
> forgetting to rename the jar file (the jar file name must be
> "commons-logging-api.jar", if we decide to put in in the
> [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory).
>
> (2)Maintain the version 1.0.4 in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory, and
> put the newer version 1.1.1 in the [CATALINA_HOME]common/endorsed/. This
> solution does not require jar file renaming.
>
> I tested these two solutions, and apparently both works fine, both works
> equally. At least until now everything is working according to my
> expectations. If I have to choose one, I´d choose the solution (1), but I
> really do not know which is better.

I have to point people out about an article written by Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml;
(one of the programmers, maybe the main programmer, that developed Log4j).
Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml; also wrote the book "The complete Log4j manual". So, I
think we can trust the article:

http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp Taxonomy of class loader problems
encountered when using Jakarta Commons Logging

In the article he strongly recommends to NOT include commons-logging.jar and

Posted by "Marc F." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Anthony Bull wrote:

> Its better to use commons-logging 1.1.1 as from memory 1.0.4 has a
> problem that causes Tomcat to not shutdown properly on some platforms.

Yes, I was expecting that version 1.1.1 would be better than 1.0.4.
Generally newer versions are better than older versions, unless the new one
introduces a new bug :)

But when I replace the version 1.0.4 of commons-loggins-api, located in the
[CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ directory of Tomcat 5.0.28, by the newer version 1.1.1,
without forgetting to rename the jar file to "commons-logging-api.jar", due
to this file name be hardcoded in Tomcat, the Axis2 context is not being
initialized, and I do not know why! Anything else is being correctly
initialized (the Tomcat itself and all the rest of the contexts), except the
axis2 context. For me that's a really strange, unexpected, and illogical
behavior. Axis2 is supposed to work with the version 1.1.1 of
commons-logging API, then why isn't its context being initialized?

I don't know, but I suspect Axis2 uses the "commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" file
located in the [CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/lib/ directory, and
ignores the one located in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/. But, if that's true,
then how does Axis2 do such a thing? If my assumptions are correct, then how
is Axis2 capable of ignoring the classloading mechanism of Tomcat?

I've already tried to delete the "commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" jar file from
the [CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/lib/ directory, so that the only
possible location of commons-loggin API is the one located in the
[CATALINA_HOME]/bin/, but this attempt was unsuccessful.

You can try all these things, and you can check for yourself that what I am
saying is unfortunately true.

Anyway, the most strange thing is that when I try to make the
commons-logging-api located in the [CATALINA_HOME]/bin/ equal to the one
located in the [CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/lib/ (both equal to the
version 1.1.1) the axis2 context is not being initialized. For me, the
logical and expected behavior is exactly the opposite! There aren't logical
reasons that explain why axis2 context is not being initialized.

Thanks.

Re: Axis2 and Tomcat 5.0.28 commons-logging-api

Posted by "Marc F." <ma...@gmail.com>.
I´ve already tried that, but the same exception happens
(org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: User-specified log
class ' org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger' cannot be found or is
not useable.)

Thank you.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.