Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jeff LI <un...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/14 18:10:52 UTC

Host NameNode, DataNode, JobTracker or TaskTracker on the same machine

Hello,

Is there a good reason that we should not host NameNode, DataNode,
JobTracker or TaskTracker services on the same machine?

Not doing so is suggested here http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/NameNode, but
I'd like to know the reasoning of this.

Thanks

Cheers

Jeff

Re: Host NameNode, DataNode, JobTracker or TaskTracker on the same machine

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
With the current configuration you are safe. But as your data grows you
will start consuming more space and eventually you might end with
insufficient space to hold the metadata itself as it is also getting stored
in the same disk. Also, bigger data means more no of files and blocks which
means more no of object which in turn means greater memory consumption. And
don't forget about the resource consumption of your processing layer. Like
disk space required to store the intermediate output files, resources
required to initiate map and reduce tasks etc.

But it all depends upon the size of your data and the intensity of
processing you are going to perform. As of now you look good to me with
128TB+64GB.

HTH

Warm Regards,
Tariq