Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Daniele Dellafiore <il...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/04 17:39:49 UTC

Some advice needed on native lib inclusion

hi. I am developing an app that uses JOGL (Java OpenGL Binding) that
has many native jars.
There is no artifact on any repository. What I want to do his:

1. create a pom for jogl artifact and put it on a repo.
That is, using maven for distribution (not for building) to have an
artifact on a repo, with the correct dependencies.
2. Use jogl in my project, so that I can make a distribution for any
operating system from maven or from some shell script that uses maven.

Let's start with my solutions:

1. I already created a basic pom with all information needed to upload
jogl to java.net maven2 repo and it seems to work (still waiting for
authorization to upload artifact there).
The problem here is that jogl.jar is the same for all platform, what
changes are the binaries. jogl project provides a zip for webstart
that contains jogl.jar and all the various jogl-natives packages, in
jar format.

What I think is that I can deploy jogl.jar and then a single artifact
for each native jar that has jogl.jar as a dependencies.
In this case I need a single pom for jogl and a pom for each native
platform. The result is a different artifact deployed for every
platform.
A developer than can depend on a single native-jar and will get all
the jogl.jar files.

There is a issue here. I need that the native files, dll or so or
whatever, are un-jarred in order to be used outside a webstart
application. Any chance to make this with maven without using some ant
task?

2. BTW, many developers will need to package it's application for
different platform. In order to accomplish this, I think a way should
be:
. make different profile for different supported platforms
. make a script that run "mvn package -P target-platform" every time
that is needed to get all the distribution package with just one
command.

For what concern webstart, codehaus is working on a plugin and native
liberies are supported in the development version that eventually will
bocome 1.0 alpha2 so I will wait for a release.

Thanks for reading, I wait for any advice!

--
Daniele Dellafiore
http://ildella.wordpress.com/

Re: Some advice needed on native lib inclusion

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.
Have a look on http://java.freehep.org/freehep-nar-plugin/intro.html,
that could help you.

Damien