Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Dane Laverty <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/29 17:13:05 UTC

Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

My boss has asked me to manage development for a Java project. I'm going to
be working with two other programmers and one designer.

This is the first time that our organization has tried to formally
coordinate several programmers on a project together, and it is also the
first Java project we've done here (I'm the only programmer with extensive
Java experience). I chose to use Wicket for this project because it seemed
to be the most intuitive framework, and because I hope it will make it easy
for the designer and programmers to work together without stepping on each
others toes.

At my previous job, we used CVS for managing code contribution and Ant for
deployment. Is that still a good solution, or should I be looking at other
tools? Also, how do you coordinate the designer's work with the programmers'
work?

My goal is to find a few tools that
- work well with Wicket
- make it easy for programmers to check code in and out
- manage project dependencies
- are easy to set up
- are easy to use
- are free

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Conrad Hesse <co...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Dane,

> At my previous job, we used CVS for managing code contribution and Ant for
> deployment. Is that still a good solution, or should I be looking at other
> tools? Also, how do you coordinate the designer's work with the
> programmers'
> work?

Although I would choose SVN you probably won't notice much of a difference
to CVS. Many of it's advantages (like keeping logs of renamed files, fast
compare to base revision, ...) are neglectable when using it in combination
e.g. eclipse.

I would stick to Ant. I don't like Mavens configurative approach. Also, I
find it harder to get decent documentation/help on the web. If Ant works for
you there is no need to switch. If you want dependency management look at
Ivy for ant.

We currently use Hudson for continuous integration. I love it. It it easy to
set up and configure. Nice interface. Just works.

About the coordination with designers: From my experience it works easy if
the designer has some basic knowledge about how wicket works. In my current
project the design was done pretty late (imo too late) and the first html
pages were coded by the developers. Later the designers kicked in and worked
on their own branch while developers continued on the main trunk. I would
try to avoid scenario.

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Curtis Cooley <cu...@venture.com.sg>.
Dane Laverty wrote:
> My boss has asked me to manage development for a Java project. I'm going to
> be working with two other programmers and one designer.
>
> This is the first time that our organization has tried to formally
> coordinate several programmers on a project together, and it is also the
> first Java project we've done here (I'm the only programmer with extensive
> Java experience). I chose to use Wicket for this project because it seemed
> to be the most intuitive framework, and because I hope it will make it easy
> for the designer and programmers to work together without stepping on each
> others toes.
>
> At my previous job, we used CVS for managing code contribution and Ant for
> deployment. Is that still a good solution, or should I be looking at other
> tools? Also, how do you coordinate the designer's work with the programmers'
> work?
>
> My goal is to find a few tools that
> - work well with Wicket
> - make it easy for programmers to check code in and out
> - manage project dependencies
> - are easy to set up
> - are easy to use
> - are free
>
> I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Go to http://www.pragprog.com/titles/prj/ship-it and at least buy the
eBook. It's $20 and will save you at least 10 times that in headaches.

Confidential/Privileged information may be contained in this email. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not copy, distribute or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Please notify the sender immediately if you receive this in error.

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Per Lundholm <pe...@gmail.com>.
No tools require an internet connection all the time. The repositories
Nexus, Archiva etc are local to your site. They only download from the
internet when you ask for something the first time.

That is one reason for having a local repository manager. Then you
have your personal repository as always with Maven.

If you are offline, but have a class library on some media, e.g. a USB
stick, you can deploy that to your local repository.

Hope this helps.

/Per

--
Varning! E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar
servrar i Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.

WARNING! E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden,
is monitored by the National Defence Radio Establishment.

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Geeta Madhavi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi...

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

+1 Thats almost exactly our preferred setup.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Your unable to use a repo like Archiva?
You should be able to package up your customer components and maintain
versions by deploying to archiva... we do the same thing, and its a
life saver, particularly when you have legacy projects that use older
versions of a component.

Our archiva repo has become one of our backup targets.

- Brill Pappin

Posted by Carlo Camerino <cm...@gmail.com>.
try mercurial instead of subversion. (we're starting migration to mercurial)
We are on our way to migrate there.
Hudson is very easy to configure.
Try eclipse and maven 2 also.

Posted by Per Lundholm <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Per Lundholm <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1 for that book but we are reaching beyond the scope of the question.

I would prefer that designers and programmers stepped on each others
toes all the time rather than working on separate branches. The former
is more agile.

/Per

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Heres another book for you.

Posted by Dane Laverty <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Swank <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Stefan Droog <sd...@educator.eu>.
I can also recommend O'Reilly Java Power Tools book:

See http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527938/

Regards,
Stefan

Thanks for the suggestions of Continuum, Hudson, and Archiva. I'm not
familiar with any of them, so that at least gives me some direction. Also,
is there a book or website you would recommend that explains some best
practices for Java project management?

I would love to get a team training course in here. That's what we really
need, but recent budget cuts have forced the college to cut way back on its
training budget. As soon as the funding is back, I'm planning to give you
guys a call :)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@wickettraining.com
> wrote:

> I'd definitely suggest SVN over CVS and Maven over Ant.  Maven truly
> manages dependencies.  Ant does not.
>
> I'd suggest Continuum rather than Hudson simply because it is quick
> and easy to set up and it is built to build Maven projects - so it
> will be easier for your inexperienced team to do so.
>
> And of course, a team training course is never a bad idea :)
>
> --
> Jeremy Thomerson
> http://www.wickettraining.com
>

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Florian Sperber <fl...@sperber.info>
> wrote:
> > Hi Dane,
> >
> > Dane Laverty schrieb:
> >>
> >> My goal is to find a few tools that
> >> - work well with Wicket
> >> - make it easy for programmers to check code in and out
> >> - manage project dependencies
> >> - are easy to set up
> >> - are easy to use
> >> - are free
> >>
> >> I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help!
> >>

> > what about:
> >
> > - svn (instead of cvs)
> > - maven (check the quickstart project on the wicket page)
> > - archiva (your own maven repository)
> > - hudson (continous integration build system)
> >

> > Kind regards
> > Florian Sperber

The information contained in this communication is confidential, intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be legally privileged and protected by professional secrecy. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. This email does not constitute any commitment from Cordys Holding BV or any of its subsidiaries except when expressly agreed in a written agreement between the intended recipient and Cordys Holding BV or its subsidiaries. Cordys is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. Cordys does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return the communication to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Dane Laverty <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Florian Sperber <fl...@sperber.info>.
Hi Dane,

Posted by Carlo Camerino <cm...@gmail.com>.
ya first time i actualy looked at sonar.i guess it's different from sonarj.
I thought they were the same thing.
I see this in the spring website.

Will take a look at it..
Seems like a tool which will be useful for us.

Posted by Linda van der Pal <lv...@heritageagenturen.nl>.

Posted by Carlo Camerino <cm...@gmail.com>.
What does sonar do?

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.
As long as you clear out things like nightlies and snapshots it's not too
bad.  Otherwise, things can get massive.

--
Nick Heudecker
Professional Wicket Training & Consulting

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Andrew Lombardi <an...@mysticcoders.com>.
Martijn,

On Apr 29, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> Our current stack:
> - maven
> - Java 6
> - hibernate
> - spring
> - Wicket
> - svn
> - hudson
> - artifactory (though we might switch to another one)
> [ - sonar (icing on the cake) ]
>
> Wendy Smoak taught me an valuable lesson: use a company repository
> manager for maven, and a local one on your machine. This way you can
> run maven offline as well (after downloading the internet first).
>
> Martijn
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Dane Laverty
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My boss has asked me to manage development for a Java project. I'm
>> going to
>> be working with two other programmers and one designer.
>>
>> This is the first time that our organization has tried to formally
>> coordinate several programmers on a project together, and it is
>> also the
>> first Java project we've done here (I'm the only programmer with
>> extensive
>> Java experience). I chose to use Wicket for this project because it
>> seemed
>> to be the most intuitive framework, and because I hope it will make
>> it easy
>> for the designer and programmers to work together without stepping
>> on each
>> others toes.
>>
>> At my previous job, we used CVS for managing code contribution and
>> Ant for
>> deployment. Is that still a good solution, or should I be looking
>> at other
>> tools? Also, how do you coordinate the designer's work with the
>> programmers'
>> work?
>>
>> My goal is to find a few tools that
>> - work well with Wicket
>> - make it easy for programmers to check code in and out
>> - manage project dependencies
>> - are easy to set up
>> - are easy to use
>> - are free
>>
>> I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help!

> Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released
> Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.

To our success!

Mystic Coders, LLC | Code Magic | www.mysticcoders.com

ANDREW LOMBARDI | andrew@mysticcoders.com
2321 E 4th St. Ste C-128, Santa Ana CA 92705
ofc: 949-528-6480
fax: 714-782-6024
cell: 714-697-8046
linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewlombardi
twitter: http://www.mysticcoders.com/kinabalu

Eco-Tip: Printing e-mails is usually a waste.

This message is for the named person's use only. You must not,
directly or indirectly, use,
  disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Our current stack:

Posted by Steve Swinsburg <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
You can get Eclipse to auto refresh if you modify files externally.
Check preferences.

cheers,
Steve

Posted by pete swulius <ps...@gmail.com>.
While we are on the topic, does anyone know if there's a super-secret
version of wicket-bench that plays well with the Eclipse 3.3 debugger?  If
not, how much effort would it take to get it up to date?  I would be glad to
contribute.

Or, alternatively, is there another option out there for minimizing the
hunt-n-clickathon?

--pete

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by Vladimir K <ko...@gmail.com>.
Innate markup formatting in WTP is awful. It splits all tags between lines.
I searched the web but didn't find information how to configure WTP. I
returned back to myeclipse.

How could WTP fans be ok with default formatting?

Posted by Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com>.
it's very strange, because if I hit ctrl+shift+f in some html code
with WTP, the source code will be completely unwell formatted. I will
try amateras plugin, thank you

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM, John Armstrong <si...@siberian.org> wrote:
> I always have to do a 'Refresh' when changing the HTML. Its quite painful..
>
> I tend to author the bulk of my html in an external editor that is
> more suitable to the purpose and fast ( the eclipse validators are
> painfully slow, particularly in Javascript intensive pages). Then I
> tweak it in Eclipse and hit F5. A Lot.
>
> John-
>
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM, pete swulius <ps...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It appears that using external html editors causes sync issues.  Apparently
>> eclipse doesn't monitor changes to the file system, except to warn you that
>> it's out of sync.  I would love the know the truth of it as I could very
>> well be missing something obvious.  In fact, I would bet that I am,
>> considering that eclispe is so cool.
>>
>> I am currently using the Amateras plugin:
>> http://amateras.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/fswiki_en/wiki.cgi?page=EclipseHTMLEditor.
>>  I have no problems with it, but I use it only for the syntax coloring
>> and
>> the occasional content assist.
>>
>> --pete

Eduardo S. Nunes
http://e-nunes.com.br

Re: Tools for Managing a Wicket Project

Posted by John Armstrong <si...@siberian.org>.

Posted by John Armstrong <si...@siberian.org>.
I use the HTML formatter without problems. What issue are you having?

I use MyEclipse, it may be different?

Posted by Vladimir K <ko...@gmail.com>.
I installed it on MyEclipse I didn't find how to format the text. Does it
capable to format text better than WTP does?

Posted by Swanthe Lindgren <sw...@megasol.se>.

Posted by Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com>.
I have just one problem with eclipse, I can't use the HTML formatter,
that's very sucks. I tried tidy but it didn't work too. What do you
use guys to format html code?

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Dane Laverty <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to thank Jeremy, Scott, and Linda for recommending Effective
> Java. I read through the book this week. It's wonderful -- accessible and
> useful. Now I'm in the process of refactoring my project to start applying
> the concepts.
>
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Carlo Camerino <cm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> we used to be bugzilla, mediawiki, continuum statck.we moved to Trac. It
>> was
>> simply amazing with all those plugins.
>>
>> Code Review WIth Trac Is Good.
>> Review Board is also good software but it doesn't suit our programming
>> needs.
>>
>> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Matt Welch <ma...@welchkin.net> wrote:
>>

>> > Tools that our team is using (after some trial and error):
>> >
>> > IDE - Eclipse/IDEA
>> > Source Control - SVN
>> > Build - Maven
>> > Local Network Maven Repo - Nexus (after a year trying different ones)
>> > Build Server  - TeamCity, which absolutely rocks (We actually purchased
>> and
>> > used Bamboo for 9 months. I can't believe it comes from the same company
>> as
>> > JIRA. Bamboo was terrible.)
>> > Story Mgmt/Defects - Rally (hosted commercial app for agile projects; not
>> > bad, but not fantastic either)
>> > Code Review - Code Collaborator (again not bad and I'd rather have it
>> than
>> > nothing at all, but could be better)
>> >

>> > Our QA team has used various testing tools from expensive commercial
>> tools
>> > like Mercury (now HP) Quality Center to Selenium. They use Rally for
>> defect
>> > management.
>> >
>> > My highest recommendations are for TeamCity, Nexus, and SVN.
>> >
>> > -Matt
>> >

>> > --

Eduardo S. Nunes
http://e-nunes.com.br