Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2010/03/20 20:59:50 UTC

Re: EC2 Scripts

[Copied to hbase-user@]

Hi Lars,

> Required parameter 'AMI' missing (-h for usage)
> I guess that is OK?

No, that means the scripts are not picking up a valid public AMI.

I think you may be the first to attempt to use the EC2 scripts in the EU.

One thing I did not mention in my presentation is all of the images are hosted in the us-east-1 region. It was something that came up in the Q&A afterward.

AWS as a cloud service is not always location independent. Sure you can pull files from S3 via HTTP from anywhere, but AMIs are region specific. For example, one cannot use an AMI that is stored in 'us-east-1' to launch a server instance in the 'eu-west-1' region. :-( They don't even show up in the listing depending on the endpoint your tools are talking to. (Hence no AMI identifier to pass on the command line, leading to "Required parameter 'AMI' missing"...)

So there are a couple of issues here:

- Replicate the buckets

- Better error messages

I am in the process of replicating the AMIs to the different regions to tackle the first. I should have done this earlier, but it slipped down pretty far on my to do list. My apologies. I'll send an update when all of the necessary buckets for all of the regions have been set up. I will also update the config file with a comment about this.

   - Andy

P.S. The situation is worse if you use AMIs backed with EBS images. In addition to being region-locked, EBS images are also locked to a single availability zone within the region.