Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2012/03/17 22:50:44 UTC

GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Folks,

I just want to shortly recap the results of our discussions from last year: We want individual PMCs
to be more involved in the mentor selection process and want them to lazy ACK mentors for their
projects. So a potential mentor will need to 1) request to be a mentor in google melange and 2) send
an email to code-awards@ and their individual private@<project>.a.o asking to be a mentor for
<project>. If we don't hear a NACK from <project> within 72 hours, we make that person a mentor.
Correct?

Uli

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by mehdi houshmand <me...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I'm some what unclear as to the vetting procedure, it doesn't
seem to be documented anywhere. Also, aside from our subscription
being accepted to code-awards@, is the list of accepted mentors
documented anywhere?

Thanks,

Mehdi

>>> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
>>> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by sh...@e-z.net.
The recognition by PMC of a GSoC project mentor should help
eliminate a problem I witnessed last year.

+1

Steven J. Hathaway
XALAN

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 19 March 2012 08:42, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Nóirín Pluincéid <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Mentors should have the backing of the PMC responsible for the project
>> their student is working on - because we've promised that to Google, and
>> because we need to know that if the mentor disappears, the PMC will step in....
>
> +1, IMO we just need the PMC to say "we are ok with this GSoC project
> happening with this mentor".
>
> Having the mentor CC their PMC list when they inform code-awards of
> their intention to mentor, and someone from the PMC ack that, is not
> much work and I think it's sufficient.

+1

The tiny bit of extra work for PMCs significantly reduces admin work
if we have an issue like last year (I not none of the people who
worked to resolve the issue last year are against this idea ;-)

PMCs are supposed to provide oversight for their projects not anyone else.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Nóirín Pluincéid <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Mentors should have the backing of the PMC responsible for the project
> their student is working on - because we've promised that to Google, and
> because we need to know that if the mentor disappears, the PMC will step in....

+1, IMO we just need the PMC to say "we are ok with this GSoC project
happening with this mentor".

Having the mentor CC their PMC list when they inform code-awards of
their intention to mentor, and someone from the PMC ack that, is not
much work and I think it's sufficient.

-Bertrand

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by Nóirín Pluincéid <no...@apache.org>.
On Mar 18, 2012 7:48 PM, "Luciano Resende" <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we step back, what's the main issue we are trying to solve here ?

Mentors should have the backing of the PMC responsible for the project
their student is working on - because we've promised that to Google, and
because we need to know that if the mentor disappears, the PMC will step in.

> And how PMC's ACKs would help to solve that ?

Without a PMC ACK, I'm not sure how we can ensure these things.

Noirin

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nóirín Pluincéid <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ulrich,

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Am Mo, 19.03.2012, 22:31 schrieb Nóirín Pluincéid:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> And for Podlings?  Do this in their own dev list, where mentors can be
>> counted on to raise any issues?  Or send them all to the IPMC general
>> list?
>
> I think an ACK from the PPMC is more meaningful in that case.

+1

Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
+1for PPMC

Posted by Nóirín Pluincéid <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just want to shortly recap the results of our discussions from last year: We want individual PMCs
> to be more involved in the mentor selection process and want them to lazy ACK mentors for their
> projects. So a potential mentor will need to 1) request to be a mentor in google melange and 2) send
> an email to code-awards@ and their individual private@<project>.a.o asking to be a mentor for
> <project>. If we don't hear a NACK from <project> within 72 hours, we make that person a mentor.
> Correct?

And for Podlings?  Do this in their own dev list, where mentors can be
counted on to raise any issues?  Or send them all to the IPMC general
list?

-Rob