Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/13 17:34:17 UTC

DictionaryNameFinder cross-validation?

Hey guys,

First of all i can imagine you must be sick and tired of me reporting a
bug or improvement every single day!That is the nature of open-source
though isn't it? :-)

Today's issue came literally out of nowhere! Again it has to do with
cross-validation but with the DictionaryNameFinder this time - NOT the
maxent model...Ok, here goes:

Basically, both the maxentNameFinder and the DictionaryNameFinder can do
NER. Also both classes implement TokenNameFinder so from Java's
perspective either can be passed as argument to the
TokenNameFinderCrossValidator constructor...However, i tried doing that
this morning, in an effort to get some numbers my dictionary, and all i
get is 0 precision, 0 recall and -1 FMeasure, regardless of finding
loads of drugs! I think (not 100% sure) the problem is that the
CrossValidator expects annotated text (in order to verify) but the
DictionaryNameFinder can only be deployed on un-annotated text...To be
honest i don't see any other reason why it won't use the dictionary
instead of the model since both classes conform to the same interface -
otherwise Java would complain!

Any ideas?

Jim

p.s: i 'm not sure if i can call this a bug or a massive
improvement...it all started when i started thinking how i can evaluate
my trained model when it joins forces with the dictionary...i can see
with my eyes there is some improvement but it is crucial that i get some
numbers...

Re: DictionaryNameFinder evaluation always returns 0, 0, -1

Posted by "william.colen@gmail.com" <wi...@gmail.com>.
I am not sure that if we set it to 1.5.2 we are supposed to generate a
fix for that version. I think it is not the case. We should have
strong reasons for that, and you are using trunk anyway.

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hey William,

Posted by "william.colen@gmail.com" <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "william.colen@gmail.com" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, I read it too fast.

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.
I don't need cross-validation, i only need regular evaluation....that
was the confusion...
There is nothing to train with the DictionaryNameFInder, it doesn't make
any sense to use the cross-valdiator...

Jim

Posted by "william.colen@gmail.com" <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hello again,

Re: DictionaryNameFinder cross-validation?

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.