Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Preston <gr...@intervoice.com> on 2003/04/04 16:15:37 UTC

Same but Different ( I hope )? - Resolved

Thanks for the consideration on the issue below.   I did figure out my problem lastnight.  Kind of embarrassing... most always are.  I wasn't consistent in naming the session key when I put the form in the session in my FetchAssetAction.  When I moved control to the next action (EditAssetAction) Struts could not find the form so it instantiated another.  This is fixed by either naming the session key the name defined in the <form-bean> tag or use the attribute parameter in the action-mapping tag.

Thanks again.

Greg

Hopefully I'm not beating the group down with this question.  I've seen several posts that discuss "Wizard" functionality which makes use of the same form-bean across multiple pages.  I think I understand how that works and can  make it work in my application provided I'm starting w/o existing data.

If I bring existing data into my "Wizard" I get page 1 data, but not subsequent pages.

The run down:
I call "fetch.do" ( FetchAssetAction)
-         go to the database and retrieve asset info and place in AssetForm
-         put AssetForm in the Session
-         forward to first page of "Wizard"
* data for first page is there

All pages of  the "Wizard" post to "edit.do" (EditAssetAction)
      -  EditAssetAction determines next ActionForward

        <action path="/edit"
           type="org.eyecontact.asset.action.EditAssetAction"
           name="AssetForm"
           scope="session">
        </action>

        <action path="/fetch"
           type="org.eyecontact.asset.action.FetchAssetAction"
           name="AssetForm"
           scope="session">
        </action>

When I post from the first "Wizard" page the AssetForm gets reinitialized with the data contained on the first "Wizard" page.  I lose the data stored in the form for subsequent "Wizard" pages.

I think I'm missing a fundamental design element that I hope someone can help me with.

Thanks in advance.

Greg