Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stefan Fritz <sf...@gmx.at> on 2008/10/08 13:51:12 UTC

Dependency range resolution resolves to SNAPSHOTS!?

Hi all,

We recently (during the last weeks) ran into a situation where version
ranges (e.g. [1.0,) ) where resolved to SNAPSHOT  versions as well.
My understanding was always that if I specify a non-snapshot version in
a range that only released version will be resolved.

Is my understanding incorrect or is there a bug in dependency resolution?

I'm using 2.0.9

Thanks
Stefan

PS: Sorry if this has already discussed during the last weeks but
couldn't find it in the archives

Re: Dependency range resolution resolves to SNAPSHOTS!?

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 01:20:42 Mark Hobson wrote:
> 2008/10/8 Stefan Fritz <sf...@gmx.at>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We recently (during the last weeks) ran into a situation where version
> > ranges (e.g. [1.0,) ) where resolved to SNAPSHOT  versions as well.
> > My understanding was always that if I specify a non-snapshot version in a
where does it say that in the docs? Maybe I missed it.

> > range that only released version will be resolved.
> >
> > Is my understanding incorrect or is there a bug in dependency resolution?
> >
> > I'm using 2.0.9
>
> This is indeed a bug, see:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3092

I still disgree, its absolutely necessary for agile development.

If you consider that every version just a number and you use interval notation
then of course snapshots are going to fall into the range somewhere.

The argument is 'are SNAPSHOTS really useful at all?' and the answer is 'they
are but only when governed by appropriate development practice'.

If you go and SNAPSHOT things all over the place and deploy them to remote
repositories I would argue that you should just not use maven go back to make
or ant because you have not made the transition to understand how powerful
maven dependency resolution can be for development and _deploying_ with
determinability. I stay away from reproducibility because thats the other end
of the scale from agile and convention.

My goal is to develop fast and know the result, potentially break but be able
to recover from a break _very_ quickly. Carry out multiple lines of
development without the need for costly source control merges. Branch and
patch easily and always stay in a state of release readiness. You can do all
of this without making the ramp up significant.

To digress slightly when unit testing in order to be sure you are actually
proving anything you can't have SNAPSHOTS with one exception if I as a
developer injected that SNAPSHOT into the resolution tree for a reason i.e.
to see if it breaks the test and why or not. If I have other peoples
SNAPSHOTS I have no easy process for figuring out how and why things are
breaking and how to achieve the fix, no way to roll forward and back to
isolate faults.

my 2[00] cents :-/

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer

Re: Dependency range resolution resolves to SNAPSHOTS!?

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
2008/10/8 Stefan Fritz <sf...@gmx.at>:
> Hi all,
>
> We recently (during the last weeks) ran into a situation where version
> ranges (e.g. [1.0,) ) where resolved to SNAPSHOT  versions as well.
> My understanding was always that if I specify a non-snapshot version in a
> range that only released version will be resolved.
>
> Is my understanding incorrect or is there a bug in dependency resolution?
>
> I'm using 2.0.9

This is indeed a bug, see:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3092

Mark