Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by MShah <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/14 23:15:54 UTC

Adding a rich text control to a xhtml document?

How do you add a rich text control to a lenya xhtml document?  Can u please
let me know.  I am very new to lenya and have not been able to figure out
how to add the rich text control and its capabilities when adding it to a
xhtml document.  Any tips or inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Moni

Re: Adding a rich text control to a xhtml document?

Posted by so...@apache.org.
The question derives from the separation between documents and
applications.  The GUI allows editing documents -- choose a document,
then choose an editor.  Applications tend to use HTML forms (possibly
with Cocoon Forms) inside the visitor layout -- visitors receive a
specific input screen with no choice of editors.  The question is how
to use the editing capabilities provided by the GUI in a visitor form.

My solution is to merge Lenya's document editing into the application
development architecture.  The RichText editor is divorced from the
GUI so any document/form can specify fields are RichText and use an
editor when displayed in edit mode.  Part of this requirement is to
allow multiple RichText fields in a single document/form.  Negatives
are:
- limited choice of editors.  Many editors require too much
integration with Lenya's backend.  Most also have difficulties with
multiple RichText fields on one page.  IMO, having one editor fully
integrated and usable for all forms is better than having many
choices.
- rebuilding the GUI.  Each function is a separate page.  Moving
documents in the navigation hierarchy and editing a document is
easier/cleaner, but creating a comprehensive GUI like the production
versions of Lenya is difficult.

To answer MShah well requires breaking the wall between Lenya
documents and other applications' data.  Every form should become a
Lenya document.  Documents must be able to be displayed for editing
without entering the GUI.  This answer will also contain an
explanation of doctypes -- how to create a doctype with RichText and
other fields.  The xhtml doctype has one RichText field; other
"fields" are hidden as meta attributes.

Does Lenya 2 (easily) allow document editing (including RichText
fields) within the visitor layout?

solprovider

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hello Moni