Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Kenny <in...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/27 12:10:44 UTC

mapping dynamic IPs to specific accounts

A client of mine provides an email service to a number of mobile users. This
leave my client open to abuse as addresses are assigned dynamically and
blocking specific users is difficult. We have set up an internal, private
DNS which we update with the authentication details of the user and the IP
assigned to him/her at that  time. We now want to configure
postfix/spamassassin to query this DNS and return the authentication
details. This will allow us to blacklist the abusive users until they
re-register (at a cost) and should help us fight the proliferation of spam.

How best can this be done? It is not enough that the IP is in the DNS, we
expect it to be and we don not want to blacklist based on the IP. We
actually need to get the authentication details back and look these up in a
blacklist. So how do we configure postfix or spamassassin to look up one DNS
and pass the returned value to a second DNS or hash or whatever to return
the final judgement?

Thanks,

mike

RE: mapping dynamic IPs to specific accounts

Posted by Sietse van Zanen <si...@wizdom.nu>.
SA catches and classifies spam. It does not configure, secure or synchronize your MTA with any external source.

esto, this is the wrong mailing list for such a question.

The first thing you want to do is try and find an MTA that can achieve the goals you set. Sendmail probably can, but will need a lot of customization. which has nothing to do with and does not involve SA.

My advice, take this question to a number of MTA mailing lists (eg sendmail, postfix, exim, etc).

-Sietse

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Wed, December 27, 2006 16:44, Richard Frovarp wrote:

>> into your MUA.  SMTP AUTH just adds some crypto to it - users just
>> check a different box when they set up their clients.
> Good point. Are the users force to authenticate a second time when they
> want to read mail?

who says thay care about complains that there FROM: email is used in spam ?

but good point anyway, users should learn to use smtpd auth period

--
This message was sent using 100% recycled spam mails.

Re: mapping dynamic IPs to specific accounts

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.
Mike,

I'm not sure why "It is not considered acceptable to force the users to
authenticate a second time when they want to send email" - we all do
that all do that all the time anyway.  Pretty much all MTAs ask clients
for a username and password as part of the connection cycle - it's just
usually set up to be automatic, with the info configured into your MUA.
SMTP AUTH just adds some crypto to it - users just check a different box
when they set up their clients.

It sound like you're still going to need custom code if you're trying to
control the activity of authenticated users.

Miles

Posted by Mike Kenny <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.