Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/11 21:35:37 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven Indexer version 4.0.0

Hi,

We solved 6 issues:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12112&version=17017

** Improvement
    * [MINDEXER-4] - Upgrade to Lucene 3.0.3
    * [MINDEXER-7] - Make IndexingContext be able to receive remote updates
and index local content simultaneously

** New Feature
    * [MINDEXER-1] - Introduce MergedIndexingContext, an IndexingContext
implementation that gives RO view on multiple IndexingContexts presented
logically as one
    * [MINDEXER-2] - Make Indexer threadsafe

** Task
    * [MINDEXER-5] - Upgrade to Maven 3.0 models
    * [MINDEXER-6] - Use Aether version implementation

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-016/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

NOTE: add binding or non-binding

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Indexer version 4.0.0

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ar...@exoplatform.com>.
+1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Hi Brett,

originally the "targeted" version was 3.5, but I was talked out from it.
This is Open Source, and version does not hold any "marketing value", and
3.5 would be a "marketing version" (especially when there is no previous
3.4.0 to back it).

In short, it's the Maven3 model (vs Maven2.x model) + Aether (vs
maven-artifact 2.x) + Lucene 3.0.3 (vs Lucene 2.4.1) and MINDEXER-2 that
introduced some important API change.

For historical reasons (unfortunately), Indexer API contains Lucene classes,
hence library consumer is simply _forced_ to upgrade. This might cause
trouble if Lucene is used in other places too in same app. If you consider
"plain java" apps (neglect OSGi and related stuff), this change forces the
consuming app to change a _lot_ on it's classpath.

While "hiding" the Maven3 models and Aether is possible (they are not
exposed directly), hiding Lucene is not quite so easy (see above) even with
modules-enabled containers.

For "legacy" consumers, not being able to move to maven3 or lucene 3, there
is the prepared "to be 3.2.0" branch, that contains important bugfixes, but
not these changes/upgrades from above (it's still maven model 2.x +
maven-artifact 2.x + lucene 2.4.1). We can release 3.2.0 too, if there is
need for it.

Again, I am fine with any version larger than 3.2.0 like 3.5 is (3.1.0 is
1st ASF release of Indexer, branch is set for 3.2.0), but again, personally
I don't imply any "meaning" to version except they order the releases on
time axis and in artifact "space" :)

Personally, I even believe they don't have to be strictly increasing
(without gaps). If a staged (not released yet, just staged!) release found
to be bad, just flush it, and do another v+1 one.

Thanks,
~t~

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.