Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Igor Guzenko <ih...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/30 15:00:13 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS]: Thoughts

Hello Charles,

Thank you very much for starting this important discussion. These are all
important things but at the current moment, I don't have a clear vision
where we could start from. The item which is most interesting to me is the
second one, but I've never been involved in building an open-source
community, don't even know where to start. I'm not sure that just making
good documentation and the first impression will attract developers with
strong motivation to contribute.  So I'm very excited to learn about
projects which managed to build such a community, maybe we really could
find some new fresh ideas about how to attract new community members.

Thanks,
Igor

Re: [DISCUSS]: Thoughts

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for their thoughts, see responses inline.

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Paul Rogers <pa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Great discussion. Charles, thanks for starting it. Thanks Isabel for your insights.
>

> In my mind, question 4 (mission) is the most critical: what users do we want to serve? What problems should Drill solve for these users? We've touched on this topic in previous threads, perhaps we need to continue that discussion.
>

> IMHO* Drill, unfortunately, did not win the "data lake" wars. Cloud vendors won for data lakes at scale. Snowflake won for corporate data analytics as a service. Presto won for "non-aligned" data lakes. So, where can Drill add value? This is what folks in Silicon Valley call a "pivot."

I do think Paul's assessment is correct and that Drill should do a pivot as to the mission of Drill.  From my experience, Drill was never about big data anyway, it was more about being able to access many different types of data (and platforms) quickly using a common language. IMHO this is a HUGE industry problem that will only get bigger as more and more types of data are being generated.  Drill really shines in this regard in that you can literally download it, unzip it and it works.  No config needed. (Unless you are using Windows ...)

> Again, IMHO, perhaps there is a future in app data integration: the ability to pull, and combine, data from the myriad S3 file formats and specialized DBs that make up modern apps. Presto must see this opportunity also: they aregoing all out to dominate this area; having added many new connectors in the last year.

See above, but this has been my view of Drill from the beginning.  In my line of work (security & analysis) Drill is an amazing tool that when I show it to security pros they absolutely love it.  My view here is that we should take the same strategy.  Make Drill able to connect to as many formats and systems as possible.  This also means API improvements such that it is easier and easier to build storage and format plugins so that more people can do it.

> Perhaps Ted, with his wide experience talking to users and the open source community, can offer us suggestions.
>
> Realistically, defining a mission must be done in conjunction with point 2: community building. If we reach out the community and pay close attention to where we find interest, that will help identify an un- (or under-) served niche where we add unique value. (This is, in fact, basic marketing.)

Concur... We really could use some assistance here.  From the hangout, I really agreed with Vadim's sentiment about Drill marketing.  When I present Drill, the aspirational statement that I use is:

Drill is a universal translator for data.  It can query any kind of data*, no matter where it is*, or how big it is**.

* Well... almost
**. Within reason

> Once we determine our target "market", we'll have a better sense where to drive the project, documentation, user experience and developer experience to satisfy that market. Thanks to the many outstanding people who contributed to the project over the years, Drill is actually pretty good compared to many projects, Having a mission will tell us where we need to improve further.

Everything I've seen indicates to me that there is a market for this kind of capability.

Re: [DISCUSS]: Thoughts

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS]: Thoughts

Posted by Paul Rogers <pa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.