Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henrib <hb...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/28 16:43:30 UTC

[JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?

After JEXL-60 is reviewed & committed, it seems Jexl-2.0 could reach code
freeze.
All 1.1 pending bugs would be fixed, enhancements requests & new features
are in (assignment, ternary operators, UnifiedJEXL, constructor) and
micro-benchmarks seem to indicate better performance (for what it's worth).
Checkstyle is clean, code coverage improved with more tests and the
refactoring that took place should make the code easier to maintain.
Any comments - and especially some committers cycles to review JEXL-60 -
would be very helpfull at this late stage; the patch is "heavy" so is in a
tar.gz form, instructions to apply in JEXL-60.
Some Jexl-users feedback (from API to doc and real-world perf) would also be
appreciated if anyone interested has time to spare.
Thanks

Re: [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Henrib<hb...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> JEXL-43 will be (hopefully) the last issue to close before 2.0.

Yes, +1 to that.

-Rahul

Re: [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?

Posted by Henrib <hb...@gmail.com>.

Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> Cool, so (as I just asked in JIRA) you're done with that patch for a bit?
> :-)

Yes, I'm done with this one. ;-)

Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> Haven't looked at it, but does it also contain docs to address JEXL-43 as
> well?
> If not, thats the main remaining pending item for a v2.0 IMO.

I wanted to be done with the code before I started 2.0 new features & usage
examples.
JEXL-60 does not address JEXL-43, only the quick syntax reference and
(hopefully) enough of the Javadoc to make sense; just a code-freeze mark.
JEXL-43 will be (hopefully) the last issue to close before 2.0.

Cheers

Re: [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Henrib<hb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sebb-2-2 wrote:
>>
>> Ah, sorry, I did not realise there were some pending patches.
>>
>> I've finished for the time being - there are still a few raw types,
>> but I don't know what they are all supposed to be.
>>

> Thanks; I just wanted to be sure Rahul (I guess) would have something as
> easy as possible to setup.
<snip/>

Thanks, being easy to set up helps. And if anyone else gets there
before me, even better (its a busy week :-)

-Rahul

Posted by Henrib <hb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> I've finished for the time being - there are still a few raw types,
> but I don't know what they are all supposed to be.

<snap/>

Lot of collections usage in JEXL (or most expression language
implementations for that matter) is indeed quite raw. At which point
trying to eliminate all of these warnings is mostly an academic
exercise as it buys nothing in the way of type safety.

That is not to say that there won't be any genuine warnings -- I
haven't looked closely at all of them.

-Rahul

Re: [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henrib <hb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/07/2009, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:44 AM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

>>  > The JavaCC generator unforunately generates some rather unsafe code
>>  > (e.g. writable public static String arrays); I don't know if it is
>>  > possible to fix this.
>>  >
>>
>> <snap/>
>>
>>  Very low priority, atleast for me.
>
> The bugs seem to be inherent in the JavaCC compiler.
> I think the only short-term solution would be to post-process the
> generated source.
> Might perhaps be worth fixing the two worst offenders.
> I'll look into it.

Post-processing only if its simple and durable (not requiring updates
with JavaCC updates). In the end, the generated stuff isn't really
part of the JEXL component's API, most folks shouldn't be getting at
it.

-Rahul

Re: [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
>  > these should ideally be fixed.
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  Agreed (ideally). Some were fixed, any others in non-generated code
>  may be looked at.
>

>  > Findbugs complains:
>  >
>  > There is an apparent infinite recursive loop in Interpreter:
>  >
>  >    public void setAttribute(Object object, Object attribute, Object value) {
>  >        setAttribute(object, attribute, null);
>  >    }
>  >
>  > Also complains: forgets to throw the Exception for:
>  >        if (node == null) {
>  >            new UnsupportedOperationException("unable to set object property, "
>  >                            + "object:" + object + ", property: " + attribute);

Both the above now fixed.

>  > There are some other more minor complaints, e.g. use Byte.valueOf()
>  > rather than new Byte();
>  >

> <snap/>
>
>  Suggest adding this to JEXL-20 -- I know it says checkstyle in the
>  issue title, but we can take that to mean static analysis for now (or
>  just commit fixes, if you want).
>

>  > Is Jexl 2.0 compliant with BSF 3.0 (JSR-223)?
>  > If not, it would be useful to add this. I can help with that.
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  What does compliant mean? ISTR contributing a BSF engine based on JEXL
>  1.x (I think you were also involved, IIRC). I suspect we can do
>  similar for BSF 3.0 with JEXL 2.0. Help is always welcome.

It's OK - current Jexl 2.0 seems to work fine with BSF 3.0 (beta2).

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Henrib<hb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After JEXL-60 is reviewed & committed, it seems Jexl-2.0 could reach code
> freeze.
<snip/>

Cool, so (as I just asked in JIRA) you're done with that patch for a bit? :-)

> All 1.1 pending bugs would be fixed, enhancements requests & new features
> are in (assignment, ternary operators, UnifiedJEXL, constructor) and
> micro-benchmarks seem to indicate better performance (for what it's worth).
> Checkstyle is clean, code coverage improved with more tests and the
> refactoring that took place should make the code easier to maintain.
> Any comments - and especially some committers cycles to review JEXL-60 -
> would be very helpfull at this late stage; the patch is "heavy" so is in a
> tar.gz form, instructions to apply in JEXL-60.
<snap/>

Haven't looked at it, but does it also contain docs to address JEXL-43 as well?

If not, thats the main remaining pending item for a v2.0 IMO.

> Some Jexl-users feedback (from API to doc and real-world perf) would also be
> appreciated if anyone interested has time to spare.
<snip/>

Yes indeed.

> Thanks

Well, thank you.