Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2008/02/25 03:04:07 UTC

[discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Ok, seems there is some interest in putting together a proposal. I'm
going to follow the same format we used at Continuum last month.

Before we continue to vote on a proposal to send to the board, we need
to:

1) Decide on a charter for the project.

"the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to ..."

Any thoughts on this?

2) Nominate a chair to put in the proposal

I would like to nominate Deng as the chair of the project. I think the
work she has done in making sure releases happened consistently,
answering users questions, and following up contributions has
contributed a lot to the growth of the project recently.

Are there any other nominations or seconds?

3) Agree on the initial committers and PMC list

I have the current committers list as:
Maria Odea Ching (oching@apache.org)
Fabrice Bellingard (bellingard@apache.org)
Nicolas de Loof (nicolas@apache.org)
Joakim Erdfelt (joakime@apache.org)
Arnaud Heritier (aheritier@apache.org)
Dennis Lundberg (dennisl@apache.org)
Jesse McConnell (jmcconnell@apache.org)
Brett Porter (brett@apache.org)
Edwin Punzalan (epunzalan@apache.org)
Carlos Sanchez (carlos@apache.org)
Wendy Smoak (wsmoak@apache.org)
John Tolentino (jtolentino@apache.org)
Emmanuel Venisse (evenisse@apache.org)

(removed Henri Yandell as he went emeritus already from Maven)

Anyone on that list that doesn't feel they should be a committer? Did
I miss anyone?

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:57 AM, James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks for starting this discussion Brett.
>
> Not being tied to Maven also presents us with the option to grow beyond
> the scope of a Maven repository manager so what we can support other
> similar tools if the niche presents itself.
>
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:04 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> > Ok, seems there is some interest in putting together a proposal. I'm
> > going to follow the same format we used at Continuum last month.
> >
> > Before we continue to vote on a proposal to send to the board, we need
> > to:
> >
> > 1) Decide on a charter for the project.
> >
> > "the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to ..."
>
> "The Apache Archiva project is the creation and maintenance of
> open-source software relating to the storage, retrieval and management
> of build system artifacts."
>

> I think this sums up the scope of the project well enough.

Or how about revising this to..

"... is the creation and maintenance of open-source software related cd
to the management of build repositories and to the storage and retrieval of
the build system artifacts residing in them."

> > Any thoughts on this?
> >
> > 2) Nominate a chair to put in the proposal
> >
> > I would like to nominate Deng as the chair of the project. I think the
> > work she has done in making sure releases happened consistently,
> > answering users questions, and following up contributions has
> > contributed a lot to the growth of the project recently.
> >

> +1
>
> I believe Deng is probably the most involved person across all areas of
> the project, as Brett has mentioned. This makes her more than competent
> to chair the proposal.

that would be a great honor :-)

> > Are there any other nominations or seconds?
> >
> > 3) Agree on the initial committers and PMC list
> >
> > I have the current committers list as:
> > Maria Odea Ching (oching@apache.org)
> > Fabrice Bellingard (bellingard@apache.org)
> > Nicolas de Loof (nicolas@apache.org)
> > Joakim Erdfelt (joakime@apache.org)
> > Arnaud Heritier (aheritier@apache.org)
> > Dennis Lundberg (dennisl@apache.org)
> > Jesse McConnell (jmcconnell@apache.org)
> > Brett Porter (brett@apache.org)
> > Edwin Punzalan (epunzalan@apache.org)
> > Carlos Sanchez (carlos@apache.org)
> > Wendy Smoak (wsmoak@apache.org)
> > John Tolentino (jtolentino@apache.org)
> > Emmanuel Venisse (evenisse@apache.org)
> >
> > (removed Henri Yandell as he went emeritus already from Maven)
> >
> > Anyone on that list that doesn't feel they should be a committer? Did
> > I miss anyone?
>
> +1

+1

> > Cheers,
> > Brett

Thanks,
Deng

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
+1

Thanks for starting this discussion Brett.

Not being tied to Maven also presents us with the option to grow beyond
the scope of a Maven repository manager so what we can support other
similar tools if the niche presents itself.

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:04 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> Ok, seems there is some interest in putting together a proposal. I'm
> going to follow the same format we used at Continuum last month.
>
> Before we continue to vote on a proposal to send to the board, we need
> to:
>
> 1) Decide on a charter for the project.
>
> "the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to ..."

"The Apache Archiva project is the creation and maintenance of
open-source software relating to the storage, retrieval and management
of build system artifacts."

I think this sums up the scope of the project well enough.

> Any thoughts on this?
>
> 2) Nominate a chair to put in the proposal
>
> I would like to nominate Deng as the chair of the project. I think the
> work she has done in making sure releases happened consistently,
> answering users questions, and following up contributions has
> contributed a lot to the growth of the project recently.

+1

I believe Deng is probably the most involved person across all areas of
the project, as Brett has mentioned. This makes her more than competent
to chair the proposal.

> Are there any other nominations or seconds?
>
> 3) Agree on the initial committers and PMC list
>
> I have the current committers list as:
> Maria Odea Ching (oching@apache.org)
> Fabrice Bellingard (bellingard@apache.org)
> Nicolas de Loof (nicolas@apache.org)
> Joakim Erdfelt (joakime@apache.org)
> Arnaud Heritier (aheritier@apache.org)
> Dennis Lundberg (dennisl@apache.org)
> Jesse McConnell (jmcconnell@apache.org)
> Brett Porter (brett@apache.org)
> Edwin Punzalan (epunzalan@apache.org)
> Carlos Sanchez (carlos@apache.org)
> Wendy Smoak (wsmoak@apache.org)
> John Tolentino (jtolentino@apache.org)
> Emmanuel Venisse (evenisse@apache.org)
>
> (removed Henri Yandell as he went emeritus already from Maven)
>
> Anyone on that list that doesn't feel they should be a committer? Did
> I miss anyone?

+1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 29/02/2008, at 12:31 AM, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> I think this is a great description for the front page - want to
>> update the site? :)
>

> Ok :-)
> I reworked it a bit, and updated the xdoc front page on SVN.
>
> Cheers,
> Fabrice

Nicely done :)

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think this is a great description for the front page - want to
> update the site? :)

Ok :-)
I reworked it a bit, and updated the xdoc front page on SVN.

Cheers,
Fabrice

> For the charter - it is really about a broad objective rather than a
> feature list. I like Deng's description (for the inclusion of the word
> "repository").
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/
>
> --
Fabrice
- bellingard@apache.org -

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28/02/2008, at 5:31 PM, Maria Odea Ching wrote:
>

> >> +1 to this list.
> >> Is this a list of existing commiters in the project only?
> >> Would it be inappropriate to get James Dumay involved in this too?
> >>

> > I don't have any problems with this.. I think it's a great idea to
> > get James
> > involved as well :-)
> > Is this something that should be discussed with the Maven PMC
> > members first?
> >

> Oh, you mean hold a vote for Maven now?
>
> Yeah, I was wondering how to respond to this :) I was holding out for
> a couple more patches but was thinking of putting up a committer vote.
>
> I would say - let's put the proposal in as is. If he is voted in as a
> Maven committer in the mean time (quite possible since he contributes
> to wagon and Maven too), he will automatically come across anyway
> (just not on the PMC, which is quite normal for new committers). If
> for any reason that doesn't happen - we can look at his contributions
> to Archiva and start a vote there instead.
>
> What do you think?

Okay, I'm fine with this :-) I'll start the vote for the actual proposal
then.
Thanks!

> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

-Deng

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com> wrote:

> Fabrice Bellingard wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >> Ok, seems there is some interest in putting together a proposal. I'm
> >> going to follow the same format we used at Continuum last month.
> >>
> >> Before we continue to vote on a proposal to send to the board, we need
> >> to:
> >>
> >> 1) Decide on a charter for the project.
> >>
> >> "the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to ..."
> >>

> > Here's my try :-)
> >
> > "The Apache Archiva project is an extensible repository management
> software
> > that helps taking care of your own personal or enterprise-wide artifact
> > repository. It offers several capabilities, amongst which remote
> repository
> > proxying, build artifacts storage, delivery and indexing, extensible
> > scanning functionality, and many more."
> >

> +1 from me.
>

> > 2) Nominate a chair to put in the proposal
> >
> >> I would like to nominate Deng as the chair of the project. I think the
> >> work she has done in making sure releases happened consistently,
> >> answering users questions, and following up contributions has
> >> contributed a lot to the growth of the project recently.
> >>
> >> Are there any other nominations or seconds?
> >>

> > Agree, Deng has done a really good job around Archiva, which makes her
> an
> > excellent candidate for the chair of the projet. :-)
> > Joakim has also been involved a lot, and could therefore also be a good
> > candidate, IMO.
> >

> I'm honored that you would consider me, but I'm going to have to decline
> the PMC chair for Archiva at this time.
> My life, job, and house construction is eating far too much time to be
> an effective PMC chair.
>

> >> 3) Agree on the initial committers and PMC list
> >>
> >> I have the current committers list as:
> >> Maria Odea Ching (oching@apache.org)
> >> Fabrice Bellingard (bellingard@apache.org)
> >> Nicolas de Loof (nicolas@apache.org)
> >> Joakim Erdfelt (joakime@apache.org)
> >> Arnaud Heritier (aheritier@apache.org)
> >> Dennis Lundberg (dennisl@apache.org)
> >> Jesse McConnell (jmcconnell@apache.org)
> >> Brett Porter (brett@apache.org)
> >> Edwin Punzalan (epunzalan@apache.org)
> >> Carlos Sanchez (carlos@apache.org)
> >> Wendy Smoak (wsmoak@apache.org)
> >> John Tolentino (jtolentino@apache.org)
> >> Emmanuel Venisse (evenisse@apache.org)
> >>

> > +1
> >

> +1 to this list.
> Is this a list of existing commiters in the project only?
> Would it be inappropriate to get James Dumay involved in this too?

I don't have any problems with this.. I think it's a great idea to get James
involved as well :-)
Is this something that should be discussed with the Maven PMC members first?

> >> Cheers,
> >> Brett
> >>

> > Thanks for starting this, Brett.
> >
> > Fabrice
> >

> -  Joakim

Thanks,
Deng

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
Fabrice Bellingard wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Ok, seems there is some interest in putting together a proposal. I'm
>> going to follow the same format we used at Continuum last month.
>>
>> Before we continue to vote on a proposal to send to the board, we need
>> to:
>>
>> 1) Decide on a charter for the project.
>>
>> "the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to ..."
>>

> Here's my try :-)
>
> "The Apache Archiva project is an extensible repository management software
> that helps taking care of your own personal or enterprise-wide artifact
> repository. It offers several capabilities, amongst which remote repository
> proxying, build artifacts storage, delivery and indexing, extensible
> scanning functionality, and many more."

+1 from me.

> 2) Nominate a chair to put in the proposal
>
>> I would like to nominate Deng as the chair of the project. I think the
>> work she has done in making sure releases happened consistently,
>> answering users questions, and following up contributions has
>> contributed a lot to the growth of the project recently.
>>
>> Are there any other nominations or seconds?
>>

> Agree, Deng has done a really good job around Archiva, which makes her an
> excellent candidate for the chair of the projet. :-)
> Joakim has also been involved a lot, and could therefore also be a good
> candidate, IMO.

I'm honored that you would consider me, but I'm going to have to decline
the PMC chair for Archiva at this time.
My life, job, and house construction is eating far too much time to be
an effective PMC chair.

>> 3) Agree on the initial committers and PMC list
>>
>> I have the current committers list as:
>> Maria Odea Ching (oching@apache.org)
>> Fabrice Bellingard (bellingard@apache.org)
>> Nicolas de Loof (nicolas@apache.org)
>> Joakim Erdfelt (joakime@apache.org)
>> Arnaud Heritier (aheritier@apache.org)
>> Dennis Lundberg (dennisl@apache.org)
>> Jesse McConnell (jmcconnell@apache.org)
>> Brett Porter (brett@apache.org)
>> Edwin Punzalan (epunzalan@apache.org)
>> Carlos Sanchez (carlos@apache.org)
>> Wendy Smoak (wsmoak@apache.org)
>> John Tolentino (jtolentino@apache.org)
>> Emmanuel Venisse (evenisse@apache.org)
>>

> +1

+1 to this list.
Is this a list of existing commiters in the project only?
Would it be inappropriate to get James Dumay involved in this too?

>> Cheers,
>> Brett
>>

> Thanks for starting this, Brett.
>
> Fabrice

-  Joakim

Re: [discuss] Archiva TLP proposal

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <el...@gmail.com>.
I'd surely love to see archiva make the TLP... which I think it deserves.

I'm not good with words when it comes to things like charters... so I'll
leave that to the experts.

Also, I see great things happening to Archiva with Deng as chair so I do not
have any better nominees in mind.

^_^