Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Claire McLister <mc...@zeesource.net> on 2005/11/04 00:39:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Google Map of Apache users active on this list (OT)

Hi,

  We've been working with Google Maps to see if we can automatically map
origins of emails to groups.

  As a trial, we've been mapping active emails to this group since Oct
26th at:

  http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=652

  Would like to hear from you what you think of this service.

  Thanks for listening.

Claire

  --
  Claire McLister                        mclister@zeesource.net
  1684 Nightingale Avenue     Suite 201

                      http://www.zeemaps.com

[users@httpd] Re: Google Map of Apache users active on this list (OT)

Posted by Joshua Kugler <jo...@uaf.edu>.
On Thursday 03 November 2005 14:39, Claire McLister wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   We've been working with Google Maps to see if we can automatically map
> origins of emails to groups.
>
>   As a trial, we've been mapping active emails to this group since Oct
> 26th at:
>
>   http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=652
>
>   Would like to hear from you what you think of this service.
>
>   Thanks for listening.

I'm the only one from Alaska?  Woohoo!

j----- k------

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator

Re: [users@httpd] Google Map of Apache users active on this list (OT)

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
>>   We've been working with Google Maps to see if we can automatically map
>> origins of emails to groups.
>
> FWIW, it has me in completely the wrong part of the country,

At least you're only once in a wrong place, I'm twice on that map, and
twice on a place where I don't live....

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite on subdomains

Posted by Cristian Bichis <cr...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

The website root is:

/home/site/domains/site.com/public_html

Cristian Bichis

Posted by Sean Brown <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/4/05, Cristian Bichis <cr...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >Why don't you say what you're trying instead.
> >
> All my pages requests must go to one unique file: index.php into website
> root.
>
> I need a subdomain, and all requests for pages from subdomain must go to
> index.php into website root not subdomain folder.

I meant that you should show us the configuration you are using.

> >And you absolutely must
> >use the RewriteLog to debug mod_rewrite problems.  And mod_rewrite
> >problems are usually simpler to bug when you put your rules in
> >httpd.conf rather than .htaccess.
> >

> I am hosting my ws on a reseller account. Can't have access to rewrite log.

Then all hope is lost ;-)

Seriously, you should setup apache on a local computer and test it
there before deploying to your host.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite on subdomains

Posted by Cristian Bichis <cr...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

>Why don't you say what you're trying instead.

All my pages requests must go to one unique file: index.php into website
root.

I need a subdomain, and all requests for pages from subdomain must go to
index.php into website root not subdomain folder.

>And you absolutely must
>use the RewriteLog to debug mod_rewrite problems.  And mod_rewrite
>problems are usually simpler to bug when you put your rules in
>httpd.conf rather than .htaccess.

I am hosting my ws on a reseller account. Can't have access to rewrite log.

Cristian

Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite on subdomains

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/4/05, Cristian Bichis <cr...@gmx.net> wrote:

>  Not working. Maybe i am wrong with something. Could u give me a sample in
> this case ?

Why don't you say what you're trying instead.  And you absolutely must

Posted by Cristian Bichis <cr...@gmx.net>.
>> 1. http://subdomain.site.com the url should stay as is it (no
>>redirection) but the internal processing should load file index.php from
>>site root (URL: www.site.com/index.php); so in file paths terms should
>>load index.php from the parent of subdomain folder
>>
>>2. http://subdomain.site.com/parameter the url should stay
>>as is
>>it (no redirection) but the internal processing should load file
>>index.php?p=parameter from site root (URL: www.site.com/index.php); so
>>in file paths terms should load index.php from the parent of subdomain
>>folder
>>
>> RewriteRule (.*) index.php?p=$1
>>
>>I don't really see what is complicated here.
>>
>> With this rule you are loading index.php from  http://subdomain.site.com
>>not from http://www.site.com.
>>
>> I need to load index.php from root not from subdomani folder.
>>

>So use an absolute file-system path to index.php.

Not working. Maybe i am wrong with something. Could u give me a sample
in this case ?

Thanks,
Cristian

Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite on subdomains

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cristian Bichis <cr...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claire McLister <mc...@zeesource.net>.
Good point. Will be interesting to see how different languages email
lists map out. There is a German email list of Apache users.

We'll start a map of that as well and see how it develops. Let me know
if you know of other languages.

Posted by Stephen Cook <sc...@gmail.com>.
Please do not include me on your map.

Posted by Claire McLister <mc...@zeesource.net>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Claire McLister <mc...@zeesource.net>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
James Benson wrote:
> This could be considered as an invasion of privacy, harvesting email
> addresses is spam :-) - even if your actions are purely research
> orientated, anyways why are you doing this?

And exactly which word in "Apache Public Users Mailing List" did you miss?
It's spam IFF they actually send email to all of these users.

Thanks Nick, an interesting picture which helps explain the breadth of
Apache's users to non-opensource people.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Google Map of Apache users active on this list (OT)

Posted by James Benson <jb...@jamesbenson.co.uk>.

Posted by Nick Jones <ni...@yahoo.com>.

--- Claire McLister <mc...@zeesource.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We've been working with Google Maps to see if we
> can automatically map
> origins of emails to groups.
>
>   As a trial, we've been mapping active emails to
> this group since Oct
> 26th at:
>
>   http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=652
>
>   Would like to hear from you what you think of this
> service.
>
>   Thanks for listening.
>
> Claire

Very cool! My tag even comes up within a mile of my
apartment :p.

-Nick