Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/08 19:14:06 UTC

[VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

infrastructure asks that all official releases are distributed from
subdirectories of /www.apache.org/dist. this means that infrastructure
team can gaurantee the availability and security of releases.  podling
releases are official releases by the Incubator project. the
disclaimers we ask projects to include ensure that users understand
their status.

therefore (as a matter of policy) these releases should be made
available from within http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator but this is
not made clear in Incubator policy. here is a policy patch that makes
this clear:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-62

AIUI most current releases are store elsewhere. i'm willing to perform
the necessary rationalisation work.

moving releases into dist does highlight issues about long term
availability and security of releases but i think that these are best
discussed in separate threads.

i'd like to ask the IPMC to approve this policy clarification.

here's my +1

- robert

--8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
[ ] +1 Insist that releases are distributed within
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator
[ ] +0
[ ] -0
[ ] -1 Do not apply this policy patch (reasons appreciated)

Re: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 10 October 2007 00:27, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>  I'll buy you a round of $FAV_BEV at the next AC.

Make sure keep him away from waterways. ;o)

(You'll hear about that *forever*, Robert... Well earnt...)

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Oct 8, 2007 10:14 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> AIUI most current releases are store elsewhere. i'm willing to perform
> the necessary rationalisation work.

Thanks for volunteering!

When you do this, please coordinate with Joe and the rest of
infrastructure team as placing a bunch of new files in dist should be
phased in gradually over a few days to not strangle the mirrors.  IOW,
don't add 3GB out to /dist in a day.  =P

Also note the policy is that only 'current' releases should be
mirrored - all older releases should get directly injected into
archive.apache.org.  This'll probably make the rationalization work a
bit tougher though - sorry.  =(

Thanks!  I'll buy you a round of $FAV_BEV at the next AC.  =)  -- justin

Re: Incubator releases in central maven repo, was: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/07, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> this is great, thanks.  I don't want to muddy the
> waters, but is it time to bring up the maven repo
> question again as well?

it would have been clearer to until the vote has concluded

> If incubator releases *are*
> official releases, is there a reason not to upload
> maven artifacts to the central repository?

AIUI the issue wasn't the officialness or not of the releases but the
inability for users to make an active and informed choice to use
incubating software (or not)

- robert

Incubator releases in central maven repo, was: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Robert,

this is great, thanks.  I don't want to muddy the
waters, but is it time to bring up the maven repo
question again as well?  If incubator releases *are*
official releases, is there a reason not to upload
maven artifacts to the central repository?

--Thilo

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 10/8/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...i'd like to ask the IPMC to approve this policy clarification....

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
apologies - i neglected to give an end date for this vote

i'll tally this vote no earlier than 20:00 GMT on monday 15th october

if anyone else wants to express their opinion, please vote soon

- robert

<snip>

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

This also provides good experience to podlings as they should learn
how and where release their artifacts. Having them in the official
location, albeit in the incubator section, is a good one.

Martijn

On 10/8/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> infrastructure asks that all official releases are distributed from
> subdirectories of /www.apache.org/dist. this means that infrastructure
> team can gaurantee the availability and security of releases.  podling
> releases are official releases by the Incubator project. the
> disclaimers we ask projects to include ensure that users understand
> their status.
>
> therefore (as a matter of policy) these releases should be made
> available from within http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator but this is
> not made clear in Incubator policy. here is a policy patch that makes
> this clear:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-62
>
> AIUI most current releases are store elsewhere. i'm willing to perform
> the necessary rationalisation work.
>
> moving releases into dist does highlight issues about long term
> availability and security of releases but i think that these are best
> discussed in separate threads.
>
> i'd like to ask the IPMC to approve this policy clarification.
>
> here's my +1
>
> - robert
>
> --8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> [ ] +1 Insist that releases are distributed within
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0
> [ ] -1 Do not apply this policy patch (reasons appreciated)

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/

Re: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

[RESULT] [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
i count:

robert burrell donkin +1 (binding)
Craig L Russell +1 (binding)
Matthieu Riou +1 (binding)
Martijn Dashorst +1 (not binding)
Bertrand Delacretaz  +1 (binding)
Justin Erenkrantz +1 (binding)
Niclas Hedhman +1 (binding)
Stefan Bodewig +1 (binding)
Jim Jagielski +1 (binding)
Gilles Scokart +1 (not binding)

unless anyone jumps soon in to correct any mistakes, this policy
change passed. i'll update the policy document in the next day or two.

- robert

Re: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Craig

On Oct 8, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> infrastructure asks that all official releases are distributed from
> subdirectories of /www.apache.org/dist. this means that infrastructure
> team can gaurantee the availability and security of releases.  podling
> releases are official releases by the Incubator project. the
> disclaimers we ask projects to include ensure that users understand
> their status.
>
> therefore (as a matter of policy) these releases should be made
> available from within http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator but this is
> not made clear in Incubator policy. here is a policy patch that makes
> this clear:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-62
>
> AIUI most current releases are store elsewhere. i'm willing to perform
> the necessary rationalisation work.
>
> moving releases into dist does highlight issues about long term
> availability and security of releases but i think that these are best
> discussed in separate threads.
>
> i'd like to ask the IPMC to approve this policy clarification.
>
> here's my +1
>
> - robert
>
> --8<------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> [ ] +1 Insist that releases are distributed within
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0
> [ ] -1 Do not apply this policy patch (reasons appreciated)

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE][policy] Release Distribution Directory

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
+1, the patch looks good.

Cheers,
Matthieu

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-bindings).

Gilles

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Oct 8, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> infrastructure asks that all official releases are distributed from
> subdirectories of /www.apache.org/dist. this means that infrastructure
> team can gaurantee the availability and security of releases.  podling
> releases are official releases by the Incubator project. the
> disclaimers we ask projects to include ensure that users understand
> their status.
>
> therefore (as a matter of policy) these releases should be made
> available from within http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator but this is
> not made clear in Incubator policy. here is a policy patch that makes
> this clear:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-62
>
> AIUI most current releases are store elsewhere. i'm willing to perform
> the necessary rationalisation work.
>
> moving releases into dist does highlight issues about long term
> availability and security of releases but i think that these are best
> discussed in separate threads.
>
> i'd like to ask the IPMC to approve this policy clarification.
>
> here's my +1

++1