Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/28 12:25:01 UTC

OSGi...?

the excalibur components are mature, well used and well tested but
they predate OSGi. this means that it's difficult for projects who are
dependent on excalibor components to jump to OSGi. these components
might also a new lease of life since OSGi is currently a little short
of some of the basics.

AIUI some other projects have forked and ported some but IMHO it would
make more sense to maintain these centrally. in the end, they might
end up in felix commons but we could make a start here.

this idea is crazy - i know - but if sufficient apache folks are
interested and can be granted karma then it's not impossible. see
http://markmail.org/thread/24lshugb5rifnwue for more discussion.

- robert

Re: OSGi...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Leo Simons<ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the excalibur components are mature, well used and well tested but
>> they predate OSGi. this means that it's difficult for projects who are
>> dependent on excalibor components to jump to OSGi. these components
>> might also a new lease of life since OSGi is currently a little short
>> of some of the basics.
>
> No kiddin'...
>
>> AIUI some other projects have forked and ported some but IMHO it would
>> make more sense to maintain these centrally. in the end, they might
>> end up in felix commons but we could make a start here.
>
> Sure!

cool

>> this idea is crazy - i know - but if sufficient apache folks are
>> interested and can be granted karma then it's not impossible.
>
> I think we'd be happy to grant karma to responsible apache committers.

that rules me out then ;-)

and how did you manage to split through the door? ;-)

i'll start the traditional way - just spam the list with JIRAs

> We'll need someone to help out release-manage more than anything I
> think -- porting avalon components is easy as pie generally.
>
> If the builds still work (IIRC I fixed it all up for maven2 a while
> back) and someone else does the coding I might even be persuaded to do
> some of that :)

cool :-)

- robert

Re: OSGi...?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the excalibur components are mature, well used and well tested but
> they predate OSGi. this means that it's difficult for projects who are
> dependent on excalibor components to jump to OSGi. these components
> might also a new lease of life since OSGi is currently a little short
> of some of the basics.

No kiddin'...

--
cheers,

Leo Simons
--
http://lsimons.wordpress.com/

Re: OSGi...?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I know Robert because we are in James PMC and he did a great work in
james svn in the last year so I'd be happy to grant him committer
privileges to excalibur.

Stefano

Re: OSGi...?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> the excalibur components are mature, well used and well tested but
> they predate OSGi. this means that it's difficult for projects who are
> dependent on excalibor components to jump to OSGi. these components
> might also a new lease of life since OSGi is currently a little short
> of some of the basics.
>
> AIUI some other projects have forked and ported some but IMHO it would
> make more sense to maintain these centrally. in the end, they might
> end up in felix commons but we could make a start here.
>
> this idea is crazy - i know - but if sufficient apache folks are
> interested and can be granted karma then it's not impossible. see
> http://markmail.org/thread/24lshugb5rifnwue for more discussion.

I'm definitely interested. I have next to no experience with osgi but I
guess that all component models are created equal... Maybe one could
start with a wrapper.

Bye, Thomas