Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Walter Hurry <wa...@lavabit.com> on 2011/07/25 16:53:51 UTC

Beginner's question on DCC

Hi,

I am setting up Spamassassin on my home laptop, primarily as a learning
exercise. I am mainly following the cookbook at <http://wiki.apache.org/
spamassassin/SingleUserUnixInstall>.

However, I have a problem with DCC. dccproc is at /usr/local/bin/dccproc,
and the data files are in /var/dcc.

When I run the suggested test:

spamassassin -D < /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/examples/sample-nonspam.txt

I see the following in stderr:

dbg: dcc: got response: open(/var/dcc/map): Permission denied

Indeed, since the file /var/dcc/map is -rw------- 1 root root.

I suspect that the correct procedure is to move the files in /var/dcc
elsewhere, and give them appropriate permissions. But if I do, how do I
tell dcc where to find them? I see from "man dccproc" that I could use
the "-h <homedir>" argument, but I don't know how to go about that since
it's called from Spamassassin.

And is there a better solution anyway?

Thanks.

Re: Beginner's question on DCC

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
25.7.2011 17:53, Walter Hurry kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up Spamassassin on my home laptop, primarily as a learning
> exercise. I am mainly following the cookbook at <http://wiki.apache.org/
> spamassassin/SingleUserUnixInstall>.
>
> However, I have a problem with DCC. dccproc is at /usr/local/bin/dccproc,
> and the data files are in /var/dcc.
>
> When I run the suggested test:
>
> spamassassin -D < /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/examples/sample-nonspam.txt
>
> I see the following in stderr:
>
> dbg: dcc: got response: open(/var/dcc/map): Permission denied
>
> Indeed, since the file /var/dcc/map is -rw------- 1 root root.
>
> I suspect that the correct procedure is to move the files in /var/dcc
> elsewhere, and give them appropriate permissions. But if I do, how do I
> tell dcc where to find them? I see from "man dccproc" that I could use
> the "-h <homedir>" argument, but I don't know how to go about that since
> it's called from Spamassassin.
>
> And is there a better solution anyway?
>
> Thanks.

Just chmod -R a+r /var/dcc

I think.

--

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
		-- Mark Twain

Re: Beginner's question on DCC (SOLVED)

Posted by Walter Hurry <wa...@lavabit.com>.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 02:15:04 +0100, RW wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:53:51 +0000 (UTC) Walter Hurry wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am setting up Spamassassin on my home laptop, primarily as a learning
>> exercise. I am mainly following the cookbook at
>> <http://wiki.apache.org/ spamassassin/SingleUserUnixInstall>.
>>
>> However, I have a problem with DCC. dccproc is at
>> /usr/local/bin/dccproc, and the data files are in /var/dcc.
>>
>> When I run the suggested test:
>>
>> spamassassin -D
>> < /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/examples/sample-nonspam.txt
>>
>> I see the following in stderr:
>>
>> dbg: dcc: got response: open(/var/dcc/map): Permission denied
>>
>> Indeed, since the file /var/dcc/map is -rw------- 1 root root.
>>
>> I suspect that the correct procedure is to move the files in /var/dcc
>> elsewhere, and give them appropriate permissions. But if I do, how do I
>> tell dcc where to find them? I see from "man dccproc" that I could use
>> the "-h <homedir>" argument, but I don't know how to go about that
>> since it's called from Spamassassin.
>>
>> And is there a better solution anyway?
>
> In FreeBSD it's owned by an unprivileged user (dcc by default) and
> dccproc is a setuid binary.
>
> You might want to check in an OS/distribution specific list what their
> canonical solution is. Changes to permissions may get reverted on
> package update.

Thanks for the response. There is no DCC package for my distribution
(Debian), so I had to compile from source. Setuid on dccproc was indeed
the answer, so thanks again for the pointer.

Re: Beginner's question on DCC

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.